Press Council of India (PCI) chairperson Markandey Katju, under attack from BJP leader Arun Jaitley, has been praised by noted jurist Fali S Nariman for his newspaper article which was critical of Narendra Modi.
Nariman, in an email sent on Friday to Justice Katju, which was released to the media by the PCI chief, said the article was "outstanding".
"I already telephoned and told you how pleased we were with the article in this
morning's HINDU, but I must place it on record. It is an outstanding (article), it needed to be said by a person who
doesn't merely pretend to support human rights but lives it every moment of his life," Nariman said.
Jaitley and Katju were on Sunday locked in a bitter war of words over the latter's article with the two asking each other to resign.
Jaitley dubbed Katju as "more Congress than the Congress" and said his attacks on non-Congress governments whether in West Bengal, Bihar or Gujarat seem more in the nature of "thanks-giving" to those who provided him with a post- retirement job." He demanded that Katju resign from his post.
The PCI chief, a former Supreme Court judge, hit back at Jaitley accusing him of twisting facts and asked him to quit politics.
Modi also waded into the row accusing Katju of looking at Gujarat with a "jaundiced eye" and said Jaitley's counter to the former Supreme Court judge was "insightful" in demolishing "lies" spread about Gujarat. Modi's response came on Twitter.
Rubbishing charges of being partisan, Katju said he had written "very strong" letters to Congress-ruled Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan over the arrest of two girls for a Facebook post after the death of Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray.
Fali Nariman Praises Katju for His Article on Modi
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus Live Updates: All Domestic Passenger Flights Suspended From Midnight Tomorrow
- AIIMS To Shut Down OPD From March 24 Till Further Notice As Coronavirus Cases Surge
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan Likely To Take Oath As Madhya Pradesh CM Today
- Loyalty Test: Time For Indian Businesses To Fund Fight Against Coronavirus
- Sensex Plummets 3,900 Pts, Ends Below 26,000; Nifty Inches Towards 7,500
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- SC To Hear Urgent Matters Over Video-Conference
- Vaccine Trials To Fight Coronavirus Offer Hope, Could Be Harbinger Of New Technology
- Punjab Imposes Curfew To Enforce Total Lockdown As People Continue To Step Outside
- Quarantine Stamped-people To be Arrested If Found In Public Places In Bengaluru
- Centre Asks States To Strictly Enforce Lockdown To Prevent COVID-19 Spread
- Fact Check: NASA Didn't Show COVID-19 Retreat In India Due To Clapping
- Coronavirus: Australia Pull Out Of 2020 Olympics
- COVID-19: Premier League, NBA, F1 – When Is Sport Aiming To Return?