West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today played a gracious host to captains of industry with the twin objectives of attracting fresh investment for the state and cultivating a pro-industry image for her government.
"Make investment in West Bengal," the chief minister pleaded with the galaxy of industrialists present as she entered a posh south Kolkata address where the jamboree was held. She later met them separately on the occasion of "Bijoya Sammilani", a post-Durga Puja event.
This was her second interaction with the industry heads since the landslide Assembly election victory in May. She had last met them on June 18 at a formal meeting.
Observers said the get-together would give her another opportunity to shake off an anti-industry perception created after her land acquisition movement at Singur led to Tata Motors shifting the Nano small car factory to Gujarat.
On the question of acquisition of land for industry, she has already indicated that the government’s hands-off stand would not be diluted.
Ignoring demands for a government role in land acquisition, the chief minister said the administration would steer clear of acquiring land for private industry.
Mamata is keen to improve the notorious work culture in the state, a pre-requisite for faster pace of industrialisation. With that end in view, she had recently mooted a proposal for no unnecessary bandhs and strikes.
Her government also formed a core committee with businessmen and industrialists as members which will meet every week.
The big names present included S K Birla, ITC chairman Y C Deveshwar, CESC vice-chairman Sanjiv Goenka, NICCO chairman Rajive Kaul, Haldia Petrochemcials Managing Director Partha Bhattacharya, besides M K Jalan, Purnendu Chatterjee of TCG group, Sanjay Budhia and others.
State Commerce and Industry minister Partha Chatterjee, Power minister Manish Gupta and many members of the state cabinet were also present at the gathering.
Eying Investment, Mamata Plays Host to Industry Heads
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Chinese President Xi To Visit India Later This Year After PM Modi's Invite At SCO Summit
- India Planning To Set Up Its Own Space Station, Says ISRO Chief
- Defying Mamata's Ultimatum, Bengal Doctors To Continue Agitation Till Demands Are Met
- ICC CWC 2019: Rain Check! Here's How Much An Abandoned Match Will Cost India
- IND Vs NZ, World Cup 2019: Match Abandoned, India And New Zealand Share Spoils
- India, Pakistan And The Cost Of A Cup Of Tea In Kashmir
- In Girish Karnad's Death, My Lear Has Passed Away
- In Azim Premji, India Has Its Own Andrew Carnegie, The Man Who Donated 90% Of His Wealth
- Time Opposition Parties Revisited Their Founding Principles To Find How Far Or Close They Are To Them
- LS Polls In J&K: Uncles, Aunties And Engineer Rasheed
- Nitish Saw Modi Wave Coming, Made Amends In Time To Return To NDA
- All 13 Air Force Personnel On Board AN-32 Dead
- Pak Must Take 'Concrete Action' Against Terrorism For Peace Talks: PM Modi Tells China's Xi
- No Proof To Prosecute Nana Patekar In Molestation Case: Police Tells Court
- West Bengal Governor's All-Party Meeting Over Political Violence Inconclusive
- After New Zealand Non-Starter, India Captain Virat Kohli Warns Pakistan
- TV Channel That Aired 'Defamatory' Content On UP CM Yogi Gets I&B Ministry Notice Over Name, Logo
- NIA Continues Searches For Second Day In ISIS Kerala-Tamil Nadu Module Case
- 'Modi Hai Toh Mumkin Hai': Mike Pompeo Hopes For Strong India-US Relations