With the four-member central team set up by the Ministry of Environment and Forest (MoEF) delaying submission of its report on Posco's proposed steel project by one week, Biju Janata Dal heavyweights were hopeful over the fate of the country's biggest FDI.
The central team headed by former environment secretary Meena Gupta, which was initially scheduled to submit its report yesterday, was expected to do so on October 18. The Gupta committee was probing into alleged irregularities in implementation of environment laws and forest rights acts in the Rs 51,000 crore project.
"We hope the Centre will adopt a different view on the Posco project as it is known as the Prime Minister's preferred project," senior BJD MP Pyari Mohan Mohapatra said today.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had held several review meetings on Posco project and even invited Orissa Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik to have direct talks with the South Korean President Lee Myung-Bak on January 26.
Mohapatra, considered as number two in the ruling BJD, was hopeful that the Posco project would not face the fate of Vedanta's mining and refinery project.
As the Posco project was the country's biggest foreign direct investment (FDI), the Centre could take a lenient view on it, said Steel and Mines Minister Raghunath Mohanty adding that Union Steel Minister Virabhadra Singh had also given positive signal regarding the South Korean steel maker's project.
MoEF had issued a "stop work" notice to the state government in early August based on the recommendation of the Saxena Committee report.
Expectations High on Gupta Report on Posco Project
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- J-K Dismisses Cop Charged With Terror Links
- Understanding Grief In The Time Of Covid
- Despite Dip In Covid-19 Cases, No Relief For Volunteers In Rajasthan
- To Finish IPL 2021, BCCI Tells ECB To Advance Tests By A Week
- India's Institutional Rot: Jantar Mantar Is Just A Sundial. Period
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Bonds Getting Stronger Between New Assam CM And Ulfa(I)?
- Will Salman Khan's 'Radhe' Change The Game For Bollywood?
- Notify ‘Black Fungus’ Under Epidemic Diseases Act: Centre To States
- God Says Yes To Vaccine In Ancient Himachal Village
- Review Of Pink, All I Know So Far: Rockstar Mama
- MP's Satpura Tiger Reserve, Bhedaghat In Tentative UNESCO Heritage Sites List
- Hockey Goalkeeper Sreejesh Appointed FIH Athletes' Committee Member
- 'Speak properly,' Sports Minister Rijiju Admonishes IOA Boss Batra