Amid a flurry of exit polls predicting the outcome of assembly elections ahead of the March 6 results, Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi today said such surveys should at best be on entertainment channels.
"Opinion and exit polls should at best be on entertainment channels!," Quraishi tweeted this afternoon, taking a dig at the surveys.
The reaction of the CEC, who made his Twitter debut on February 29, came as television channels were busy predicting government formations and possible political fallouts of the current assembly elections in the five states of Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Uttarakhand, Goa and Manipur since the exercise ended yesterday.
The Election Commission had banned exit polls till March 3, till the completion of assembly elections in the five states.
Quraishi brushed aside criticism of the poll body on the notices and action taken against some ministers during the high voltage campaign, saying it was part of the game and the EC has taken it in its stride.
He, however, expressed anguish at people accusing the EC of "bias."
"It hurts when people accuse me of bias," he said here today.
The CEC had earlier refused to comment on speculation about election results and possible political alliances, saying, "when elections end, politics starts.
"Our job is to conduct free and fair polls. And, we have done our job pretty well," he said.
Exit Polls Best for Entertainment Channels: Quraishi
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hateras And Us: Dalit Death Symptom Of Graver Malaise
- Lalu Prasad Yadav Granted Bail In Fodder Scam Case, But To Remain In Jail
- SRH Vs KXIP: Rashid Khan Reflects On Damage Scoreboard Pressure Can Do
- If There’s Evidence Of TRP Manipulations, I&B Ministry Can Cancel Channel's Licence: Manish Tewari
- Staff Crunch Halts Airing Of Modi's Mann Ki Baat In 10 Countries
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- RBI Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged At 4%, Says Governor Shaktikanta Das
- Rs 10 Crore Fine Ready, Sasikala May Walk Out Of Jail Any Time Now: Lawyer
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar’s Suicide Note Hints At Depression
- French Open: Teen Sensation Swiatek Storms Into Maiden Grand Slam Final
- How Ram Vilas Paswan's Death May Impact Bihar Assembly Elections
- 'BJP Will Rule For Another 30-Years, If People Hang Vivekananda's Picture:' Tripura CM
- Republic TV Among 3 Channels Being Probed For TRP Manipulation
- Cricket Australia Should Not Bow Down To BCCI: Allan Border Slams CA