Amid a flurry of exit polls predicting the outcome of assembly elections ahead of the March 6 results, Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi today said such surveys should at best be on entertainment channels.
"Opinion and exit polls should at best be on entertainment channels!," Quraishi tweeted this afternoon, taking a dig at the surveys.
The reaction of the CEC, who made his Twitter debut on February 29, came as television channels were busy predicting government formations and possible political fallouts of the current assembly elections in the five states of Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Uttarakhand, Goa and Manipur since the exercise ended yesterday.
The Election Commission had banned exit polls till March 3, till the completion of assembly elections in the five states.
Quraishi brushed aside criticism of the poll body on the notices and action taken against some ministers during the high voltage campaign, saying it was part of the game and the EC has taken it in its stride.
He, however, expressed anguish at people accusing the EC of "bias."
"It hurts when people accuse me of bias," he said here today.
The CEC had earlier refused to comment on speculation about election results and possible political alliances, saying, "when elections end, politics starts.
"Our job is to conduct free and fair polls. And, we have done our job pretty well," he said.
Exit Polls Best for Entertainment Channels: Quraishi
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Clueless Cong Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Citing Covid Situation Cong Again Defers Internal Poll To Elect New Chief
- Bihar: Corpses Of Suspected Covid-19 Victims Found Floating In Ganga River
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Users Who Don’t Accept New Privacy Terms Won’t Be Able To Receive Calls: WhatsApp
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Beed: Govt To Probe Discrepancy In Covid Deaths As Funerals Rise
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine