A week after special Indian envoy Shyam Saran's airdash to Nepal to help end the political deadlock, another former Indian diplomat is here, meeting leaders of the Nepali Congress and the Terai-based Madhesi parties.
Former Indian Ambassador to Nepal K V Rajan's visit comes as the country is locked in a political deadlock with the Parliament failing to elect a new prime minister even after four rounds of voting.
Rajan met the political leaders and discussed with them the current political situation in the country.
He met Madhesi People' Rights Forum president Upendra Yadav, Terai Madhes Democratic Party president Mahanta Thakur, Nepal Sadbhavana Party – Anandidevi president Sarita Giri and Nepali Congress leader Purna Bahadur Khadka at a posh hotel in Kathmandu.
"We held discussion on the current political situation," said Upendra Yadav talking to PTI.
He, however, denied media reports that former King Gyanendra was also present during the meeting, terming the reports as "totally false and baseless".
The meeting comes at a time when Nepal's Parliament is deadlocked over electing a new Prime Minister and a fifth round of voting in the Constituent Assembly is due on August 18.
Rajan arrived in Kathmandu a week after Saran, former Foreign Secretary and special advisor to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, held consultations with top leaders.
Saran, also a former Indian ambassador to Nepal, held wide-ranging talks with Nepalese leaders across the political spectrum to help forge a consensus to end the month-long constitutional crisis in the country, including Maoist supremo Prachanda and others.
The meetings were held ahead of the fourth round of voting to elect a new prime minister in the Constituent Assembly.
Ex Indian Envoy Meets Nepal Leaders Amid Crisis
Shirish B Pradhan/Kathmandu
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Explained: What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- Dramatic Equaliser Not Enough To Keep La Liga Title In Real Madrid's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly