Joining the list of scientists vouching for the safety of the Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant, former Atomic Energy Commission Chairman M R Srinivasan today said it was developed with advance technologies and the stir against it was a result of "lack of communication".
"After the Fukushima accident in March this year, I visited Koodankulam. I am totally satisfied with the safety measures there. The situation (in Fukushima) and what was here are completely different..", he told reporters here.
Noting that the country has spent around Rs 13,000 to Rs 14,000 crore on the Indo-Russian project, Srinivasan said if the disturbance had not happened, Tamil Nadu would have got 950-MW out of the 2,000 MW power to be generated by the first two units of KNPP.
He said the people of Tamil Nadu would get power at less than Rs three per KW. "I am hoping that this interruption would not be so dragged out as to disrupt the economies."
Srinivasan said KNPP was the "most advanced" of all the reactors existing in India.
Responding to a query, he admitted that there was a "communication gap" and "... We should have called people, taken them around (plant).. Much more should have been done."
The Indo-Russian joint venture in Tirunelveli district has run into trouble following protests from locals demanding scrapping of the project, citing safety concerns.
Ex-AEC Chief Srinivasan Vouches for KNPP's Safety
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly