25 Indian crew and their vessel were rescued from pirates in the Gulf of Aden by a European warship operating there last week.
The EUNAVFOR warship FGS Berlin had launched a rescue mission after receiving a distress call from an Indian flagged merchant vessel on February 28 by sending a chopper there.
"The Berlin dispatched one of its helicopters which established that the dhow had been pirated and the crew of 25 Indian nationals were held hostage. The suspected pirates threatened to kill crew members if the warship took any action against the dhow," the EUNAVFOR said in a release.
"The sustained but measured application of pressure and determination of Berlin not only safeguarded the lives of the hostages but also saved them from a potentially protracted period in captivity," it said.
After safeguarding the Indian crew, the Berlin also destroyed the two unmanned skiffs towed by the dhow, without which pirates cannot mount any attack against merchant shipping.
"Even though Berlin was not in a position to prevent the suspected pirates escaping to the Somali Coast, EUNAVFOR has destroyed the attack skiffs, denied the suspect pirates the use of the dhow as a mother-ship and disrupted a Pirate Action Group," it said.
They said that after providing medical care to four crew members on board, food and water was delivered to the Indian crew, and they resumed their journey to their next port of call in the dhow.
EU Warship Rescues Indian Vessel, Crew From Pirates
THE LATEST ISSUE
- At NDA Meet, PM Narendra Modi Expresses Concern Over 'Needless Controversy' On EVMs
- ISRO Successfully Launches Satellite RISAT-2B; It Can Take Pictures Under 'Cloudy Conditions'
- 22 Opposition Parties Move Election Commission Over Reports Of EVM Tampering
- CWC 2019: Ravi Shastri Hails 'Fantastic' Communication between Virat Kohli And MS Dhoni
- EC Must Put All Speculations To Rest: Pranab Mukherjee On EVM Tampering Row
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- Arunachal Pradesh MLA Tirong Aboh, 10 Others Killed By Suspected Militants In Tirap
- 'Will Even Take Up Arms To Protect Our Vote Against Rigging:' Upendra Kushwaha On EVM Tampering Row
- Dissent In Model Code Violation Cases Will Not Be Made Public, says EC
- Madhya Pradesh Govt May Reopen Murder Case Involving Pragya Singh Thakur
- No Restriction On Civilian Movement On Jammu-Srinagar Highway From May 27
- Karnataka Congress Leader Appeals Muslims To 'Join Hands' With BJP If Need Arises
- Saradha Case: SC Rejects Former Kolkata Top Cop Rajeev Kumar's Plea
- Anil Ambani's Reliance To Withdraw Rs 5,000-Crore Defamation Suit Against Congress Leaders