Ahead of the 28th anniversary of the anti-Sikh riots, a group of prominent citizens today demanded that the perpetrators be punished and cases be reinvestigated by a SIT monitored by the Supreme Court.
The group, including Justice V R Krishna Iyer, Fali Nariman, Justice Ajit Singh Bains, Justice Rajinder Sachar, veteran journalist Kuldip Nayar, Shanti Bhushan and Prashant Bhushan, said the trials be conducted in fast track courts and the Supreme Court through a special investigation team should monitor the proceedings.
"Ensure punishment to the culprits, who are responsible for killing innocent citizens, and for this purpose reopen and reinvestigate all those cases which have been closed by the police or which have resulted in acquittal due to faulty investigation or non production of material witnesses," they said in an open letter.
The signatories also demanded that these cases should be reinvestigated by a special investigation team to be constituted by officers from outside Delhi Police and the investigation should be monitored by the Supreme Court.
They said even seven years after the Nanavati Commission report, no action has been taken against the accused. Scope of investigation must be enlarged to cover all those states where Sikhs were killed in November 1984 but not reported.
They also demanded that a law dealing with communal and sectarian violence must be immediately enacted.
'Ensure Punishment to Perpetrators of 1984 Riots'
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Live Updates | Chidambaram’s Custody Must For Reaching To Root Of Case, CBI Tells Court
- 'Broad Daylight Murder Of Law, Democracy': Cong Lashes Out At Govt Over Chidambaram's Arrest
- OPINION | 'Puppets On A Chain, Kashmir's 'Pro-India' Parties NC, PDP Dug Their Own Grave'
- MP CM Kamal Nath's Nephew Ratul Puri Moves Court To Surrender In AgustaWestland Case
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media Case: 20 Questions CBI Asked P Chidambaram
- Etawah 'Ragging' Case: Police, VC Deny Medical Students Were Forced To Shave Heads
- March To Delhi Temple Demolition Site Was 'Personal Decision': Dalit Body
- NDA Candidate Against Rahul Gandhi In Wayanad Arrested In UAE
- WATCH: Guns Fail To Fire Shots During Ex-Bihar CM Jagannath Mishra's State Honours Ceremony
- Oppn Protests At Jantar Mantar, Demands Release Of Detained J&K Leaders
- Kohli Hints At Four-Bowler Strategy Vs WI
- Live, 1st Test, Day 1: SL Win Toss, Opt To Bat First Vs NZ