Kaumudi teacher, a prominent Gandhian who made a mark in the history of the national movement by gifting her gold ornaments to Mahatma Gandhi as a 17-year-old, died today, family sources said.
She was 92 and a spinster.
Hailed by the Mahatma himself as a symbol of renunciation, Kaumudi voluntarily donated her ornaments to Gandhi during his visit to Vatakara here in 1934.
Her sacrifice was acknowledged by Gandhi in his article titled 'Kaumudi's renunciation' published in 'Young India' which had been translated to all Indian languages and made part of school syllabus.
She later devoted herself to propagation of khadi and teaching Hindi and decided not to wear ornaments.
Kaumudi was born in a royal family to A K Ramavarma Raja and Devaki Kettilamma on May 17, 1917 at Vayakkara in Kannur.
She was closely associated with Gandhian movement and after independence the `Bhoodan' movement of Acharya Vinoba Bhave.
As instructed by Gandhi, she took up Hindi teaching and worked in several schools in the Malabar region. She was also a frequent visitor to Sewagram and Paunar ashrams.
Kaumudi had been living with her brother Prabhakaran Nambiar at Kadachira. She had been keeping indifferent health for some time and the end came in a private hospital.
Eminent Gandhian Kaumudi Teacher Dead
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 3 Dead, 10 Injured In Amritsar Blast; Security Heightened In Neighbouring States
- Allahabad To Prayagraj: The Politics Of Name Change
- Civilian Kidnapped By Terrorists In J&K’s Shopian After Two Killed
- Sabarimala Row: Kerala BJP Protests Following Senior Leader's Remand, Blocks Highways
- 61-Year-Old Telangana Man Shot Dead By Minor Boy In US
- How Calcutta Women Used Humour To Handle Sexual Harassment Before #MeToo
- Why Indian Railways Is Bad At Implementing Big-Ticket Projects
- Tamil Nadu: A State For Statues
- From Srinagar, A Tale Of 'Cabbage' And (W)Rath
- What Makes India Powerful, What Sort Of A Country We Want
- Indian Railways On A Name Changing Spree
- No One Can Stop Building Ram Temple If Hindus Unite: Subramanian Swamy
- Sitaram Kesri, A Dalit, Was Thrown Out To Make Way For Sonia Gandhi As Congress Chief: Modi
- J&K Encounter: Two Militants Killed In Shopian District
- Congress Releases Second List Of 32 Candidates In Rajasthan
- TM Krishna Hails Concert In Delhi As 'Celebration Of Democracy'
- Government Determined To 'Capture' RBI, Says Chidambaram
- US To Make Final Conclusions On Khashoggi's Killing In Days: Donald Trump
- Arvind Kejriwal Slams Haryana CM For Justifying Rapes