Kaumudi teacher, a prominent Gandhian who made a mark in the history of the national movement by gifting her gold ornaments to Mahatma Gandhi as a 17-year-old, died today, family sources said.
She was 92 and a spinster.
Hailed by the Mahatma himself as a symbol of renunciation, Kaumudi voluntarily donated her ornaments to Gandhi during his visit to Vatakara here in 1934.
Her sacrifice was acknowledged by Gandhi in his article titled 'Kaumudi's renunciation' published in 'Young India' which had been translated to all Indian languages and made part of school syllabus.
She later devoted herself to propagation of khadi and teaching Hindi and decided not to wear ornaments.
Kaumudi was born in a royal family to A K Ramavarma Raja and Devaki Kettilamma on May 17, 1917 at Vayakkara in Kannur.
She was closely associated with Gandhian movement and after independence the `Bhoodan' movement of Acharya Vinoba Bhave.
As instructed by Gandhi, she took up Hindi teaching and worked in several schools in the Malabar region. She was also a frequent visitor to Sewagram and Paunar ashrams.
Kaumudi had been living with her brother Prabhakaran Nambiar at Kadachira. She had been keeping indifferent health for some time and the end came in a private hospital.
Eminent Gandhian Kaumudi Teacher Dead
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- How Priyanka Gandhi Threw A Scrumptious Varanasi Nugget, And How The Media Lapped It Up!
- Supreme Court Appoints Ex-SC Judge AK Patnaik To Probe 'Conspiracy' Against CJI Gogoi
- Life In An Indian Prison: When Darkness Falls, Tears Are Not Enough
- PM Narendra Modi Holds Roadshow In Varanasi, Performs Ganga Aarti
- IPL 2019, Live Cricket Score, KKR Vs RR: Teen Parag Keeps Rajasthan Alive At Eden
- Modi The Man, Made For The Camera
- In Politics, Sunny Deol Will Have To Wait For Taarikh After Taarikh To Get Things Done
- Leaders Know Political Rhetoric Needs To Be Entertaining, Otherwise Rallies Are Boring
- Chennai’s Famous Historian S. Muthiah Is No More
- 'Let's Ask The Congress Spokesperson...Wait, Where's The Congress Spokesperson? We Just Lost The Link'
- Why NaMo TV Should Not Be Banned
- Rahul Gandhi Says There Will Be No Injustice In Hindustan Under Congress
- Sri Lanka's Defence Secretary Resigns Over Easter Bombings
- Rupee Dives To 6-week Low As Crude Spikes Above $75 Per Barrel; Loses 39 Paise Vs USD
- SC Judge Recuses From Panel Looking Into Sexual Harassment Allegations Against CJI
- Pragya Used To Carry Knife, Stabbed A Man, Says Chhattisgarh CM
- We Will Send Them To Desert And See How They Send Us To Pakistan: Kushwaha On BJP
- WATCH: Animated Send-Off From Virat Kohli Leaves R Ashwin Fuming
- AAP Releases LS Poll Manifesto, Says Will Fight For Delhi's Full Statehood