Eminent Assamese artist-sculptor Sobha Brahma died here today at a private nursing home following prolonged illness, family sources said.
He was 82 and is survived by his wife, two sons and a daughter.
Brahma was suffering from old-age ailments and was fitted with a pacemaker last week. He died after suffering a cardiac arrest this afternoon.
A prolific artist and sculptor of the NE, Brahma has painted and sculpted forms and figures for more than six decades establishing an independent art idiom for the region and creating a niche both in the country and abroad.
Brahma is credited to be the first artist from the north east, who attempted to create an art specific to the region with a distinct idiom. He studied in detail the lives, art, cultural background, forms and colour of Bodo, Rabha, Dimasas and other tribes and created art with a contemporary touch.
He also served as the principal of Government Art College here for several years, vice-chairman of prominent cultural centre Srimanta Sankardev Kalakshetra set up under Assam Accord and was also a member of the general council of Lalit Kala Akademi.
He had graduated from Cotton College in 1948 and then enrolled in Santiniketan where he was trained by great masters Ramkinkar Baij and Nandalal Bose for years.
On his return from Santiniketan Brahma faced a ‘creative conflict’ in his mind on whether to continue with Indian mainstream tradition or produce art specific to the region free from influences and trappings of any particular school or style.
Eminent Artist-Sculptor Sobha Brahma Dead
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Amritsar Tragedy: Locals Continue To Protest At Train Accident Site
- It's Do-Or-Die Battle For Congress In Upcoming Assembly Elections
- Encounter Breaks Out In JK's Kulgam, Soldier Injured
- BJP Releases First List For Chhattisgarh, Telangana, Mizoram Assembly Polls
- India Vs West Indies, 1st ODI: India's Countdown To 2019 World Cup Begins
- Rail Apps: When A Train Ticket Examiner Left Passengers Speechless
- Durga Puja In Calcutta A Parable Of Life
- M J Akbar Should Be Fired Rather Than Being Allowed To Resign
- Why Kishore Kumar Declined A Cover Version Of His Idol KL Saigal's Songs
- Health Hazards Caused By Contaminated Water Supply In Indian Railways
- BJP Is Unlikely To Flaunt Its Economic Record In 2019 Election Campaign
- Modi Accuses UPA Government For Delaying Police Memorial
- 67 Killed, 126 Injured In Parliamentary Election Violence In Afghanistan
- Obama Did Nothing About Russian Meddling In 2016 Presidential Polls, Says Donald Trump
- Denmark Open: Saina Nehwal Enters Final, Kidambi Srikanth Crashes Out
- India Will Not Hesitate To Disrupt Terror Activities: Nirmala Sitharaman
- US To Pull Out Of Intermediate Range Nuclear Force Treaty With Russia
- US Will Get To Bottom Of Khashoggi's Murder, Not In Favour Of Scrapping Saudi Arms Deal
- Asian Champions Trophy: India Beat Pakistan 3-1 In Blockbuster Clash