Egypt's military leaders today stepped up efforts for early presidential polls after the current round of street protests demanding their early exit from power, even as candidates can start registering from March 10, a month earlier than expected, officials said.
Head of the Supreme Council for the Armed Forces Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi asked election commission officials "to quickly finish legal procedures for presidency nominations," according to Egypt's state-run news agency MENA.
Egypt's military rulers had previously assured to hold presidential polls for their successor by the end of June.
"Registration for the presidential election will begin on March 10," the head of the elections committee Faruk Sultan said, according to the state-run MENA news agency.
The move is seen as an attempt to calm the protesters and the violence which has been raging in downtown Cairo since last Thursday. The violence erupted after more than 70 people died after a football match in the Egyptian city of Port Said.
The SCAF and the Ministry of the Interior were blamed for the poor security performance which led to the deaths.
The issues was discussed in the parliament of Islamists majority but the Islmasists and in particular the Muslim Brotherhood sided with the SCAF and the Ministry denying any live ammunition was being used in the clashes at the nearby Ministry of the Interior.
MP Muhammad Abu Hamed had walked to the premises of the violence and returned with cases of live ammunition and tear gas only to be attacked by Islamists MPs blaming him for "eluding people to believe live ammunition was used" as all sessions of the parliament are aired live on a special TV station.
Egypt Braces for Early Presidential Polls
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus Live Updates: India Sees Worst 24 Hrs As Cases Rise To 6,412; Death Toll Nears 200-mark
- The Wise Men Of Democratic Party Finally Seem To Have Got The Better Of Bernie Sanders. Or Did They?
- ICMR Revises COVID-19 Testing Strategy. Here's How India Will Test Patients Now
- Indore Doctor Dies Of Covid-19; Grim Reminder That Self-Medication Can Be Fatal
- Covid-19 Testing Kits Limited, Centre's Help Welcome: Chattisgarh CM Bhupesh Baghel
- Chronology Is Clear: MPLADS Abolition Leaves MPs At The Mercy Of Centre
- Bollywood Needs A New Ecosystem To Bring Its Economy Back On Track After Corona
- 'Corona Jihad', 'Tablighi Virus'...Would 'Mandir Virus' Be Okay In Such Intolerant Times?
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- The 1896 Bombay Plague: Lessons In What Not To Do
- Jharkhand Will Have To Pay Huge Price If We Are Not Medically Prepared: CM
- Opinion | Will The Coronavirus Epidemic Change Us Permanently?
- UK PM Boris Johnson, Who Tested Positive For COVID-19, Moves Out Of ICU
- 'Have To Convert India's Goodwill Into Understanding Idea Of Country World Over'
- Flu-like Symptoms? COVID-19 Or Not, This Is What You Should Do
- Coronavirus: It Would Be Irresponsible To Resume Too Early – FIFA Chief
- ISSF Running Target World C'ship Postponed Due To Coronavirus