Expressing concern over the registered political parties which do not contest elections, Chief Election Commissioner Naveen Chawla today said that the Commission has no power to de-register such parties.
"There were roughly more than 700 such political parties out of 1000, which have not contested polls," Chawla told reporters on the sidelines of 6th National Conference on Electoral Reforms organised by NGO - National Election Watch here.
"We don't have power to de-register such parties," he said, adding that they send reforms proposals to the Centre from time to time.
"We are going to hold talks with the Centre on our reforms proposal including on such political parties which don't run election probably in May-June," he said.
About Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan's frequent demand that the Lok Sabha and Assembly polls should be held simultaneously, Chawla said that this was first suggested by former Vice President Bhairon Singh Shekhawat.
He said that he won't comment on Chouhan's remarks. However, he reasoned what will happen in case an elected government loses its majority soon after winning the polls?
EC Doesn't Have Power to De-Register Parties: Chawla
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hathras Case | Options Being Explored To Defend Accused: Former BJP MLA At Caste-Based Meet
- KXIP Vs CSK: Faf, Watson Crush Punjab
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls, But Will Chirag Paswan Prove To Be The New Mausam Vaigyanik?
- Hathras Case: UP Police Lathicharges RLD Leader
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- Hathras: Chandrashekhar Meets Family
- Bihar Elections: 47 Open Grounds, 19 Halls For Public Rallies
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- Man Utd 1-6 Spurs: Red Devils Suffer Joint-record Home Defeat