Expressing concern over the registered political parties which do not contest elections, Chief Election Commissioner Naveen Chawla today said that the Commission has no power to de-register such parties.
"There were roughly more than 700 such political parties out of 1000, which have not contested polls," Chawla told reporters on the sidelines of 6th National Conference on Electoral Reforms organised by NGO - National Election Watch here.
"We don't have power to de-register such parties," he said, adding that they send reforms proposals to the Centre from time to time.
"We are going to hold talks with the Centre on our reforms proposal including on such political parties which don't run election probably in May-June," he said.
About Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan's frequent demand that the Lok Sabha and Assembly polls should be held simultaneously, Chawla said that this was first suggested by former Vice President Bhairon Singh Shekhawat.
He said that he won't comment on Chouhan's remarks. However, he reasoned what will happen in case an elected government loses its majority soon after winning the polls?
EC Doesn't Have Power to De-Register Parties: Chawla
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Explained: What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- Dramatic Equaliser Not Enough To Keep La Liga Title In Real Madrid's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly