Directorate of Vigilance and Anti-Corruption officials today raided 73 premises of candidates as part of its probe into alleged irregularities in appointments made by Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission even as its Chairman is understood to have resigned.
TNPSC sources said Chairman R Sellamuthu has submitted his papers to Governor K Rosaiah though there was no official confirmation.
Sellamuthu was appointed by way of a government order dated January 3, 2010, for a period of six years during the previous DMK regime. The ruling AIADMK had brought the nodal recruiting agency under the vigilance ambit in August last.
Sellamuthu and other members of the Commission had come under the DVAC scanner over alleged irregularities in recruitment of Assistant Dental surgeons and Motor Vehicle inspectors Grade.
A case had been registered against them under Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988 and various IPC sections last year and they are facing charges including criminal misconduct by obtaining pecuniary advantage and abuse of official position.
In the fourth of its state-wide crackdown, DVAC officials today swooped down on candidates who allegedly paid money and are suspected to have got favours. Raids were conducted at the premises of 73 candidates, a DVAC release said.
Searches were conducted at the premises of those who had appeared for various exams held by TNPSC, sources said.
The places that were raided include 13 in Madurai, 10 in Chennai, five each in Thanjavur and Pudukottai, four each in Sivaganga, Salem and Vellore, three each in Kancheepuram, Theni, Tiruchirapalli, Erode and Dharmapuri, a DVAC release said.
DVAC had earlier conducted searches at the residences and offices of TNPSC members besides staff (suspected to be involved in the case) and suspected middle men respectively on October 14, November 18 and December 13 last year.
DVAC Raids: TN Public Commission Chairman Resigns
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- SACHIN'S PERSONAL DIARY: Sleeping Well, Varan-Bhaat And Pink Floyd – How 'God Of Cricket' Is Combating Coronavirus
- Highrises Of Nightmares! Why Coronavirus Will Extend Slowdown Period In Real Estate Sector
- India Still In Local Transmission Stage, Says Health Ministry On Coronavirus
- 175 People From Nizamuddin Being Tested For Covid-19; Police To Register FIR Against Maulana
- Rebranding China In The Time Of Coronavirus
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Meghalaya Allows Home Delivery Of Liquor On Health Grounds
- Coronavirus: With 4 Deaths In 24 Hrs, India Toll Reaches 29; Cases Rise To 1,071
- Tokyo Olympics Rescheduled For July 23-August 8 In 2021
- Migrant Workers Sprayed With Chemicals, Bareilly DM Admits 'Mistake'
- Corona Silences Tamil Nadu’s Majestic Nadhaswarams
- Leopard Spotted In Chandigarh’s Residential Area Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- Will Stray Animals Survive The Coronavirus Lockdown?
- EXCLUSIVE | Simon Taufel Hails Virender Sehwag's Temperament, Humour