Despite the Delhi Government's claims that all projects connected to Commonwealth Games are on schedule, the fate of two venues seem uncertain with Delhi Urban Arts Commission (DUAC) yet to approve their layout plans.
The projects in question are practice venues for badminton and squash competition and table tennis at Siri Fort Sports Complex and Yamuna Sports Complex respectively for the mega event slated from October 3-14.
"Though we have been taking up the games project on priority basis, we were surprised at the casual behaviour of the officials from the DDA for failing to attend the meeting for plan consideration. We had no choice but to defer the consideration," a senior DUAC official said.
The Commission, in its meeting last September, had noted discrepancies in the drawings of the layout plans of the venues and subsequently asked the project proponent to follow certain observations made by it.
The commission had found that there was no plan for external circulation (movement of people), including connectivity with the city network, for the TT venue.
Both the YSC and Siri Fort will also be used as training venues. In case of the Yamuna Sports Complex, the facilities will be redeveloped for aquatics, archery and hockey training, and rhythmic gymnastics.
However, despite the importance of the projects, no representative of DDA attended the meet held recently to discuss the plans even after when they were contacted, the official said, adding, "The matter could not be discussed".
Pointing out that the agency was only ensuring that rules were followed so that venues of international-standards could be constructed for the Games, the official expressed surprise at the "casual way" the DDA has been dealing with the matter as urgent as the Commonwealth Games.
Incidentally, the DDA had recently asked a private company - Sportina Payce Infrastructure Limited - to pay a "compensation" of nearly Rs 6 crore for "slow pace" in the works of a practice venue of swimming pool, fitness centre and athletic tracks for the Games.
DUAC Yet to Approve Layout Plans for 2 CWG Venues
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Medical Insurance Companies Wash Their Hands Off Covid Claims
- Violent Clashes Break Out At Assam-Mizoram Border
- If Elected To Power Biden May Go Against India’s Interests, Warns Donald Trump Jr
- Deity, Donations And Divine Intervention
- Super Super Over Win For Punjab Vs Mumbai Is Poetic Justice For KL Rahul
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Crazy Sunday Witnesses Double Super Over - Explainer, Videos, Reactions
- SRH Vs KKR: Ferguson Sets Up Super Over Win For Kolkata
- Indian Democracy Passing Through Its Most Difficult Phase: Sonia Gandhi
- Amendment Of J&K Panchayati Raj Act Will Delay Assembly Polls: Cong
- People Were Unhappy With BJP's Poll Defeat: Shivraj Singh Chouhan
- Tourists Skip Shimla Hotels For Rural Homestays
- Cowherd's Son In Tamil Nadu Clears NEET, Seeks Financial Help To Study
- Time To Liberate Aksai Chin, Gilgit Baltistan, Says Kashmir BJP Chief