In a controversial move, a senior police officer today paraded a minor accused before media while sharing details of a burglary case cracked by the cops.
At a press conference, Deputy Police Commissioner (IV) Sanjay Baviskar paraded two accused, including a minor, arrested for their alleged role in the burglary of gold valuables and cash collectively valued at Rs 13.52 lakh.
The accused Maniraj Nadar (26) and his 15-year-old aide were held from Nerul for allegedly breaking into a house at Wadala and stealing gold valuables worth Rs 13.47 lakh and cash of Rs 5,000, police said.
The accused decamped with valuables from the residence of one Devendra Yellamalai in a slum locality of Wadala on the intervening night of Saturday and Sunday.
Revealing the real name of the minor accused to the media, Baviskar said, "the boy had sneaked into the house and stole valuables from the cupboard while Maniraj stood outside the house."
Maharashtra cadre officer also allowed photographers to click the pictures of the minor accused and allowed electronic media to take visuals.
When a section of mediapersons later raised the question as to how the minor was allowed to be exposed to media as it amounted to violation of the Child Protection Act, the DCP said. "I am sorry for this."
A criminal lawyer Kunjuraman Sushan said it was a complete violation of the Child Protection Act as the minor accused should not be exposed before the media.
"How could a high ranking police officer do this? As per the Act, minors should not be brought before media. Before doing this, the officer should have examined the law of the land. The name of the minor accused should have been withheld. He should not have been exposed to media", he said.
DPC in Row, Parades Minor Accused Before Media
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Reports Of Police Excesses Emerge Amid Lockdown Over Coronavirus Outbreak
- Coronavirus Outbreak Live Updates: Five More Test Positive In Indore, Cases In India Rise to 562
- 'Coronavirus Is Sneaky But India Has Done Better Than Others': Leading Public Health Expert
- 'It Flew Past Like Breeze': Two Months Under Coronavirus Lockdown In China
- OLY Postponed: India To Revise Preparation Plans
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Outlook Goes Digital, Temporarily Suspends Print Edition
- Gunmen Attack Sikh Religious Gathering In Afghanistan, Killing 4
- Wuhan, The Epicentre Of Coronavirus Pandemic, Resumes Bus Services
- Tracing Travel History Of Kashmir's COVID-19 Positive Patients
- COVID-19: ICC To Discuss Contingency Plans
- Delhi Govt Orders Strict Action Against Landlords Forcing Healthcare Professionals To Vacate
- India Under Lockdown: Here Are The Services That Will Remain Open During Next 21 Days
- 'Will Issue E-passes To Vegetable Vendors, Grocers': Arvind Kejriwal