Former hockey Olympian and ex-MP Aslam Sher Khan has sought the intervention of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi to ensure that Dow Chemicals company is not allowed any association with the 2012 London Olympic Games.
"The feelings of the people of Bhopal would be hurt if Dow Chemicals is allowed to be associated with the London Olympic Games," he said at a press conference here today.
"I have written to Congress president Sonia Gandhi about the need to ensure that Dow Chemicals, which is one of the sponsors of the event, is not allowed to be associated with the London Olympic Games. I have also written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and all members of the Congress Working Committee over the issue and sought their support," he added.
Aslam felt the least Congress could do, being the main ruling party with 207 MPs in the Lok Sabha, was to put pressure on the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) to lodge an official protest with the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games (LOCOG).
"It would be highly insensitive of the government to remain a mute spectator when MPs from a foreign country are showing greater concern regarding justice for the people of Bhopal," Aslam said.
Dow Chemicals had taken over Union Carbide at whose Bhopal plant the world's worst industrial disaster had taken place in December 1984 following leakage of lethal Methyl Isocyanate gas.
Thousands were killed and lakhs were maimed in the tragedy that occurred in December 1984.
Dow's Olympic Sponsorship: Aslam Urges PM Intervene
THE LATEST ISSUE
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- MI Vs SRH LIVE: Confident Start To Hyderabad's Chase; 30/0 (3)
- 'Be Back Soon,' 'Next Few Days Are Real Test': Trump
- UP CM Orders CBI Probe; Rahul, Priyanka Meet Hathras Victim's Family
- Bihar Assembly Elections 2020: BJP, JD(U) Reach Seat-Sharing Agreement
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Rahul Gandhi’s Tractor Rally Against Farm Laws
- When The Impact Players Misfire
- Another Mahagathbandhan Ally Quits At Patna Press Conference
- Durga Puja During Coronavirus Pandemic
- Nirbhaya's Mother's Exclusive Take On Hathras Rape Case
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- French Open: Teen Swiatek Blows Away Halep To Reach Last Eight