Ajmal Kasab's execution after he was sent to gallows today may not happen soon but calls grew loud that he be hanged quickly amid hopes the Pakistani gunman does not end up being on the death row "waiting list".
Authorities were asked to show urgency in carrying out the death sentence awarded to the 22-year-old Pakistani gunman, which was welcomed across the political, legal and civil society spectrum.
Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa was among those who demanded that Kasab be hanged without delay.
"I don't want any delay in hanging Kasab. I want fast track hanging of Kasab", K Unnikrishnan, father of NSG Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan, killed in the operation during the Mumbai terror attack, said in Bangalore.
Unnikrishnan said Kasab should not be allowed to end up being among the convicts who are on the death row "waiting list" in the country. "Don't put Kasab on death row waiting list," he said.
His sentiments were shared by Kavita, wife of slain Mumbai ATS chief Hemant Karkare, who said authorities should brook no delay in carrying out the death sentence despite the legal options available for Kasab like approaching the Supreme Court.
"He(Kasab) should be hanged immediately," Kavita said.
Welcoming the capital punishment awarded to Kasab, BJP chief Nitin Gadkari however said he was "not sure" whether the sentence would be carried out.
"I am not sure. Afzal Guru (convicted for 2001 Parliament attack) who was sentenced to death is still there," Gadkari said in Panaji when asked by reporters whether the death penalty would be carried out.
However, BJP spokesman Tarun Vijay asked the UPA government not to delay the execution.
"Government should not delay his hanging. Kasab was a terrorist and waged war against the Indian state. He should not get the privileges under the Indian law," Vijay said in Kolkata.
Vijay's sentiments were shared by the Congress MP from Mumbai Sanjay Nirupam who said the whole exercise should not be prolonged by way of mercy petitions and he should be executed as soon as possible.
The chief of Mumbai's Congress unit Kripashankar Singh said, "The death sentence should be executed at the earliest."
Echoing similar sentiments, Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) spokesman Shirish Parkar said people expect the judgement to be implemented at the earliest. "We want to see the noose around Kasab's neck soon.
Vaishali, daughter of assistant police sub-inspector Tukaram Ombale, who died while trying to capture Kasab during 26/11, said her father's sacrifice had paid off but demanded that his execution should not be delayed as in the case Afzal Guru, who was sentenced to death in 2001 Parliament attack case, but is now on the death row.
Since the government has given top priority to completing court proceedings against Kasab, Vaishali said it should also try to execute the death penalty to the terrorist at the earliest.
"Don't Put Kasab on Death Row Waiting List"
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Explained: What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- Dramatic Equaliser Not Enough To Keep La Liga Title In Real Madrid's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly