Doctors treating Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh for a serious liver ailment are looking for a liver donor to carry out a transplant on him, hospital sources said today.
An attempt to harvest liver from a brain dead donor from a government hospital here had proved futile as the man died before doctors could operate on him last night, they said.
A team from Global Hospitals, where Deshmukh was admitted on August 6, had planned to retrieve the liver from the 31-year-old donor at the hospital, but he died, forcing them to look for another donor, the sources said.
"The hospital is looking for a liver donor," they said.
Asked whether they were desperately looking for a liver, they said, "In a way, yes."
The 67-year-old former Maharashtra Chief Minister had shown signs of improvement and been on and off the ventilator before being prepared for a transplant, the sources said.
Deshmukh was brought here from Mumbai in an air ambulance in a critical condition.
Doctors Looking for Liver Donor for Vilasrao Deshmukh
THE LATEST ISSUE
- What BJP Wants: Keep Mamata Banerjee Away From Delhi
- Ready For Talks If Delhi Is Sincere: Ulfa Leader Takes Up Assam CM’s Olive Branch
- Army Opens Cafeteria At Kaman Post, Will It Lead To The Opening Of Cross LOC Trade?
- Critics Flay Shailaja Cabinet Exclusion As Kerala CPM Misogyny
- India's Institutional Rot: Jantar Mantar Is Just A Sundial. Period
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Cong's Covid Relief Work Is Mere PR Exercise, Says BJP Leader Sambit Patra
- Himachal Police Crack Down On Drug Mafia In Mandi, Kullu
- Centre vs States: India’s Federal Structure At Stake?
- 'Together Till The End': Twins Die Of Covid Just Hours After Each Other
- We Put Up A Good Fight Against Covid: Railways CEO
- Dr KK Aggarwal Believed Lord Krishna Was First Counsellor For All Illness
- Olympics Legend To Wanted Criminal: Sushil's Anticipatory Bail Plea Rejected
- AB De Villiers Will Not Come Out Of Retirement: Cricket South Africa