Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi's remarks on "Congress being an old party" have drawn sharp reactions from state Congress leaders, who alleged that Chief Minister has lost control over his language because of frustration.
Campaigning for her brother
and Congress MP Rahul Gandhi in his constituency of Amethi, Priyanka Gandhi asked: "Kya mein budhi dikhti hoon? (Do I
look old to you)," she asked people of Khalidpur village.
"Does Sonia Gandhi
(Congress president and her mother), Rahul Gandhi or I look old to you?" she
asked, addressing voters.
Uma Bharati, an erstwhile member of BJP, jumped in the fray, and said that Priyanka Gandhi Vadra's remarks were symptomatic of the problem of dynastic politics in the Congress. "Once upon a time we had the delusion about Indira is Indira" and now when the Congress party's age is brought up, is it not strange that Priyanka should bring up her family's age, she asked.
'Advani is 81'
While campaigning for the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Narendra Modi had said that Congress is "a 125-year old-budhia party" (old party) and it cannot work for development of the country.
"People of Gujarat are known for their culture. In our culture, even an enemy is also treated with respect. But unfortunately, the Chief Minister has lost control over his language," said Opposition leader Shaktisinh Gohil.
He said that frustration is gripping BJP and its leaders like Narendra Modi, Varun Gandhi and others, who are losing control and discretion on their tongue.
"Before making such ridiculous remarks in order "to gain cheap publicity" the Chief Minister should look at LK Advani, BJP's PM in waiting, who is 81," Gohil said.
He said that such derogatory and disparaging remarks are expected of "uncultured persons like Modi, who neither has his own culture nor represents any".
"It seems that since Modi cannot attack Advani directly on his age, he is attacking him through Congress because Modi has nurtured his prime ministerial ambitions for long and Advani is an impediment on his way," said Gohil.
He said the Congress party is represented by young brigade including persons like Rahul Gandhi, Sachin Pilot, Jitin Prasad, Milind Deora, Jyotiradtya Scindia and others while BJP has Advani who has already crossed 80.
Do I Look Old to You? Priyanka Slams Modi
THE LATEST ISSUE
- We Have Accepted Your Demands, Return To Work: Mamata Banerjee Tells Doctors
- Making India $5 Trillion Economy 'Challenging But Achievable': PM Modi At Niti Aayog Meet
- IND Vs PAK: Players Can't Think Like Fans, Says Kohli Ahead Of Pakistan Clash
- CWC 2019: Finch, Starc Shine As AUS Seal Comfortable Win Over SL
- It's Easy To Blame Doctors. Who Cares About India's Dilapidated Health Infrastructure?
- India, Pakistan And The Cost Of A Cup Of Tea In Kashmir
- In Girish Karnad's Death, My Lear Has Passed Away
- In Azim Premji, India Has Its Own Andrew Carnegie, The Man Who Donated 90% Of His Wealth
- Time Opposition Parties Revisited Their Founding Principles To Find How Far Or Close They Are To Them
- LS Polls In J&K: Uncles, Aunties And Engineer Rasheed
- Nitish Saw Modi Wave Coming, Made Amends In Time To Return To NDA
- Pak Will Engage With India In 'Dignified Manner', Up To Delhi To Decide: Pak FM Shah Mehmood Qureshi
- Enact Specific Laws To Protect Doctors, Medical Professionals: Harsh Vardhan Writes To All CMs
- Death Toll Due To Suspected Acute Encephalitis Mounts To 73 In Muzaffarpur
- SA Vs AFG: South Africa Off To A Cautious Start
- IND Vs PAK: Angry Gavaskar Lashes Out At Cricket World Cup Hosts England
- Is Mamata Losing The Plot? Anti-Mamataism Fast Becoming A State Of Bengali Mind
- Why Litchi May Not Be Responsible For Child Deaths In Bihar's Muzaffarpur
- In Gujarat, Seven Die After Inhaling Toxic Fumes While Cleaning Sewer