Overuling objections, the CIC has directed External Affairs Ministry to disclose the communication between it and CBI on the issue of extradition of the then Union Carbide chief Warren Anderson in the Bhopal Gas tragedy case.
The Central Information Commission (CIC) held that the sub-judice factor cited by the Ministry cannot be a sufficient ground for denying information to public.
The External Affairs Ministry had objected to the disclosure of correspondence exchanged between it and CBI, saying it could adversely affect the Anderson extradition case as the matter is still sub-judice. The Ministry also said that it has not spent any money in the case.
Information Commissioner Annapurna Dixit said the matter is of significance to the general public especially to the families of the victims who have been awaiting justice for the past 26 years.
The CIC direction came on an RTI application filed by Delhi's Batla House resident Afroz Alam 'Sahil' who wanted details of the communication exchanged between the Ministry and CBI on Anderson's extradition and the details of the money spent till date by the Ministry in the Bhopal case.
"It is also a matter of general awareness that the case related to the extradition of Mr Warren Anderson has been heard and judgment reserved by the Supreme Court recently. Therefore, no question of impeding the process of extradition arises," Dixit said in her order.
"The commission directs the public authority to provide all the information as available with them in their official records relating to the matter, and as sought by the complainant, by or within June 10, 2011," she said.
Disclose Details on Anderson Extradition: CIC to MEA
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Clueless Congress Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Cong To Form Fact-Finding Team To Analyse Poll Debacle
- Corpses Found Floating In Ganga
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Himachal: Cyber Thugs Target Covid Patients With False Promises Of Hospital Beds, Remdesivir
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- In A First, An Independent Candidate In TN Releases Election Expenses
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine