Mahela Jayawardene was today reappointed captain of the Sri Lankan squad for all three formats of the game hours after Tillakaratne Dilshan resigned from the post following the team's dismal showing in South Africa.
The 34-year-old's immediate assignment would be to lead the team in the triangular series involving hosts Australia and India starting early February, sports minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage announced today.
Angelo Mathews was named vice-captain of the 15-member squad which also included Dilshan.
All-rounder Farveez Maharoof and pacer Chanaka Welegedara were recalled after having last played an ODI for Sri Lanka in June 2010.
The two were brought in place of Kosala Kulasekara and Dilhara Fernando, both of whom who were part of the squad for the recent ODI series in South Africa.
Appointed to the hot seat by Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC), Jayawardene led the side to the World Cup final in 2007.
The 35-year-old Dilshan sent in his resignation from South Africa, where Sri Lanka concluded their disastrous tour yesterday.
Sri Lanka lost the three-match Test series 1-2 and the five-match ODI series 2-3.
"Dilshan has resigned as captain in all three formats of the game," SLC said in a statement.
"Members of the executive committee take this opportunity to thank Dilshan for his commitment and dedication during his tenure as the national captain," the Board said.
"We also wish him well as he continues to represent Sri Lanka as a national player."
Dilshan Quits, Jayawardene Appointed As Lankan Captain
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Delhi, UP Seal Coronavirus Hotspots; Here Are The Areas To Be Locked Up
- Coronavirus Threat & Shortage Of Migrants Pose Challenge to Farmers In Punjab, Haryana
- Coronavirus Tests Must Be Conducted Free Of Cost In Govt & Private Labs, SC Tells Centre
- At All-Party Meet, PM Modi Suggests Extending 21-Day Lockdown
- Corona In The Chambal, Corona In The Secretariat
- Chronology Is Clear: MPLADS Abolition Leaves MPs At The Mercy Of Centre
- Bollywood Needs A New Ecosystem To Bring Its Economy Back On Track After Corona
- 'Corona Jihad', 'Tablighi Virus'...Would 'Mandir Virus' Be Okay In Such Intolerant Times?
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Coronavirus Hotspots In 15 UP Districts To Be Sealed: All You Need To Know
- Bernie Sanders Drops Out Of US Presidential Race; Biden To Face Trump
- Mehbooba Mufti Determined To Oppose 'Illegal Abrogation of Art 370'
- Opinion: Animal World May Not Be Immune To Coronavirus Pandemic
- Phased Rollback Of Lockdown Most Rational Approach: Kerala CM
- Private Airlines Refused To Carry Samples Of Coronavirus To Pune For Testing
- Suspension Of Olympics Qualification Big Blow For Indian Athletes: Coach
- Fate Of I-League Hangs In Balance, Decision After COVID-19 Lockdown