Union Science and Technology Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, who was admitted to a private hospital here for a liver-related ailment, was in a critical condition and under observation, hospital authorities said tonight.
Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi, meanwhile, was given additional charge of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises(MSME) Ministry which was held by Deshmukh in addition to his Science and Technology portfolio.
The authorities at Global hospital did not release any health bulletin nor there was any offical word on the condition of the 67-year-old Congress leader, who was brought here in an air ambulance from Mumbai last evening,
Hospital sources said the bulletin was not issued in deference to the wishes of Deshmukh's family.
"The minister is on two-day observation. Doctors are attending on him," a source at the Global Hospital said refusing to divulge more details.
Hospital sources have described as "critical" the condition of Deshmukh, who is being treated by noted liver transplant surgeon Dr Mohamed Rela.
A two-time former Maharashtra chief minister, Deshmukh, who underwent a brief treatment in a Mumbai hospital, was rushed here for a possible liver transplant. He is said to have also suffered kidney complications.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said Deshmukh's family members informed him that the condition of Deshmukh was "stable".
Chavan said he spoke to Deshmukh's son and MLA Amit this afternoon to inquire about the veteran Congressman's health.
"I had decided to leave for Chennai to meet him. But, family members said his health is stable and nobody is allowed to meet him. Hence, I dropped my plan after consultations with the family members," Chavan said in Mumbai.
Deshmukh Critical, Portfolio Given to Valayar Ravi
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 3 Bengal Ministers Arrested In Narada Scam; What About Suvendu Adhikari And Mukul Roy, Asks TMC
- Do Kids Need Covid Vaccines, What Are The Side Effects And Precautions, Know From Expert
- Five DU Professors Succumb To Covid-19
- Covid Pandemic: False Face Must Hide What The False Heart Doth Know
- Will Salman Khan’s 'Radhe' Change The Game For Bollywood?
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Covid: It May Take Years To Achieve Herd Immunity | By Shahid Jameel
- Israel Stages New Round Of Heavy Airstrikes On Gaza City
- Explained: What Is 'Tauktae' And How Are Cyclones Named?
- Explained: When And Why Does A Covid Patient Need Oxygen Support?
- Noida: Now Booking Oxygen Cylinders Is Just A Call Away; Check Details
- Dry And Itchy Tongue? Doctors Say It Might Be A New Covid Symptom
- 'You're Not Allowed To Say That Kohli Is Not The Greatest: Vaughan
- Barca Without Messi 'Impossible'