Eminent writer Ruskin Bond, renowned Sarod exponent Ustad Amjad Ali Khan and noted classical singer Girija Devi will be conferred 'Lifetime Achievement Awards' by Delhi government.
A decision to this effect was taken at a cabinet meeting presided by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
"We have decided to confer Lifetime Achievement Awards to Ruskin Bond, Amjad Ali Khan and Girija Devi for the year 2011-12," Dikshit said.
66-year-old Khan is an acclaimed Sarod Player who was awarded India's second highest civilian honour Padma Vibhushan in 2001.
Devi, known as the queen of Thumri, is a classical vocalist who represents the Banaras Gharana. Devi, 81, was awarded Padma Shri in 1972 and Padma Bhushan in 1989.
Bond, 77, is an Indian author of British descent. He was also awarded Padma Shri in 1999 for his contribution to children's literature.
The city government had instituted lifetime achievement awards in 2004-05 and previous recipients of the honour include Carnatic vocalist M S Subbulakshmi, historian Kapila Vatsayan, actress Zohra Sehgal, vocalist Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, theatre personality Habib Tanvir and chess player Vishwanathan Anand.
Delhi Govt Awards to Amjad Ali, Ruskin Bond, Girija Devi
THE LATEST ISSUE
- BJP, Shiv Sena Seal Alliance For Lok Sabha, Assembly Polls In Maharashtra
- 3 Jaish Militants Linked To Pulwama Attack, Army Major, Among 9 Killed In J&K Encounter, DIG Wounded
- Annul Kulbhushan Jadhav's Death Sentence, India Urges ICJ
- RBI Board Approves Rs 28,000-Cr Interim Dividend To Government
- Pulwama Terror Attack Mastermind Ghazi Rasheed Killed In J&K Encounter
- Jaish Attack In Pulwama: Indian Intelligence Suffers Due To Communal Rifts
- China’s Growing Influence In Nepal Vs India’s Soft Power
- Will 'Operation Lotus' Boomerang On BJP In Karnataka?
- Faulted By Design: Cow Slaughter In India And Bank Interest In Pakistan
- A Race To Grab Spotlight This Election Season
- Zero's Failure Should Not Dissuade Shahrukh Khan From Trying New Roles
- Rajasthan HC Extends Stay On Vadra's Arrest, Asks Him To Cooperate With ED
- In Tit-For-Tat, Pakistan Calls Back Envoy From India For 'Consultations'
- Post Pulwama Attack, Saudi Arabia Vows To De-Escalate India-Pak Tensions
- 'Greatest Player' Chris Gayle To Retire From ODIs After 2019 Cricket World Cup
- Just One Slap From Army Man Rattled Jaish Chief Maulana Masood Azhar, Says His Interrogator
- WATCH: Tipu Sultan's Unexploded 18th Century Rockets Discovered
- Kamal Haasan Terms PoK 'Azad Kashmir', Calls For Plebiscite in Kashmir
- My Phone Is Being Tapped By Central Agencies: Mamata Banerjee