Eminent writer Ruskin Bond, renowned Sarod exponent Ustad Amjad Ali Khan and noted classical singer Girija Devi will be conferred 'Lifetime Achievement Awards' by Delhi government.
A decision to this effect was taken at a cabinet meeting presided by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
"We have decided to confer Lifetime Achievement Awards to Ruskin Bond, Amjad Ali Khan and Girija Devi for the year 2011-12," Dikshit said.
66-year-old Khan is an acclaimed Sarod Player who was awarded India's second highest civilian honour Padma Vibhushan in 2001.
Devi, known as the queen of Thumri, is a classical vocalist who represents the Banaras Gharana. Devi, 81, was awarded Padma Shri in 1972 and Padma Bhushan in 1989.
Bond, 77, is an Indian author of British descent. He was also awarded Padma Shri in 1999 for his contribution to children's literature.
The city government had instituted lifetime achievement awards in 2004-05 and previous recipients of the honour include Carnatic vocalist M S Subbulakshmi, historian Kapila Vatsayan, actress Zohra Sehgal, vocalist Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, theatre personality Habib Tanvir and chess player Vishwanathan Anand.
Delhi Govt Awards to Amjad Ali, Ruskin Bond, Girija Devi
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Nihilipilified On The Hill: Sabarimala, Congress And The Pilgrim’s Regress
- Sabarimala Row: Shutdown In Kerala After Late Night Arrest Of Hindu Woman Leader
- Ad Guru And Theatre Personality Alyque Padamsee Dies At 90
- Facebook Investors Want Mark Zuckerberg To Resign
- Should He Or Shouldn't He? Raging Debate On Dhoni's Inclusion In 2019 World Cup
- Why Indian Railways Is Bad At Implementing Big-Ticket Projects
- Tamil Nadu: A State For Statues
- From Srinagar, A Tale Of 'Cabbage' And (W)Rath
- What Makes India Powerful, What Sort Of A Country We Want
- Indian Railways On A Name Changing Spree
- The Relevance of Shah Rukh Khan Long After We’ve Stopped Running Through Mustard Fields
- Amazon Will Go Bankrupt One Day, We Need To Delay That Day: CEO To Employees
- PM Modi Is A Chowkidar Of Anil Ambani: Rahul Gandhi In Madhya Pradesh
- Let Non-Gandhi Become Congress President For Five Years: PM Modi
- J&K Panchayat Elections: 9% Voter Turnout Recorded For First Phase Till 10 AM
- 22 Married Women Receive Widows' Pension In UP While Husbands Are Alive
- PM Modi, Shivraj Singh Chouhan Are Like Double Engines Of A Train: Amit Shah
- Will Visit Sabarimala Next Unannounced, Using Guerilla Tactics: Trupti Desai
- After Naidu, Mamata Bans CBI Probe In West Bengal Without Consent