Eminent writer Ruskin Bond, renowned Sarod exponent Ustad Amjad Ali Khan and noted classical singer Girija Devi will be conferred 'Lifetime Achievement Awards' by Delhi government.
A decision to this effect was taken at a cabinet meeting presided by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
"We have decided to confer Lifetime Achievement Awards to Ruskin Bond, Amjad Ali Khan and Girija Devi for the year 2011-12," Dikshit said.
66-year-old Khan is an acclaimed Sarod Player who was awarded India's second highest civilian honour Padma Vibhushan in 2001.
Devi, known as the queen of Thumri, is a classical vocalist who represents the Banaras Gharana. Devi, 81, was awarded Padma Shri in 1972 and Padma Bhushan in 1989.
Bond, 77, is an Indian author of British descent. He was also awarded Padma Shri in 1999 for his contribution to children's literature.
The city government had instituted lifetime achievement awards in 2004-05 and previous recipients of the honour include Carnatic vocalist M S Subbulakshmi, historian Kapila Vatsayan, actress Zohra Sehgal, vocalist Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, theatre personality Habib Tanvir and chess player Vishwanathan Anand.
Delhi Govt Awards to Amjad Ali, Ruskin Bond, Girija Devi
THE LATEST ISSUE
- JEE Advanced Cut Off Lowest In Recent Years, Here’s Why?
- RCB Vs DC: Vibrant Delhi Rout Bangalore By 59 Runs To Go Top Of Table
- In Absence Of Ailing Paswan, Son Chirag Left To Fight His Own Battle In Bihar Polls
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- Hathras Case: Forensic Report That Denied Rape Contains No Value, Say Medical Experts
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- Ashwin Leaves Finch With 'Mankading' Warning
- Reopening Of Schools After Months Of Lockdown
- Trio Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Discovery Of Hepatitis C Virus
- FIR Registration Should Be Made Compulsory For All States: Gehlot
- Smriti Irani Calls Rahul Gandhi A 'VIP Kisan'
- Scientists Say ‘Feluda’ Test Could Help India Battle COVID-19
- Foreign Secretary, Army Chief Of India Visit Myanmar
- Delhi Capitals Will Be Hard To Beat In IPL 2020, Says RCB Skipper Virat Kohli