Fake currency with a face value of over Rs six crore was recoverd and two persons were arrested in south-west Delhi today in connection with one of the biggest seizures with the city police suspecting that it came from Pakistan.
The seizure of the counterfeit notes concealed in 33 cloth bundles and loaded in two tempos in a godown in Dabri area came following investigations spread over ten days by several policemen.
This single seizure almost equals the recovery of fake currency by Delhi Police in the past five years. Police seized fake currency with a face value of Rs 8.39 crore, USD 5,800 and 2,000 Euro in the past five years.
"This seizure is one of the biggest hauls in the country. The seized fake currency was sent from a foreign country. It looks as good as original," Delhi Police Commissioner B K Gupta said.
Delhi Police is in touch with CBI and RBI in connection with this seizure, he said.
P N Aggarwal, Special Commissioner (Special Cell), said the fake notes were found in cloth bundles and the operation lasted for about ten days.
Police sources said two Indians were arrested in connection with the seizure. They were of the view that the fake currency originated from Pakistan.
They said the notes might have entered the country through the porous Indo-Nepal border. "We have counted over Rs six crore. The final count may be more," a senior police official said.
Sources said the fake currency were tucked in between two-layered clothes and compressed well so that it could be difficult to find out in a normal search. The notes were of 500 and 1000 denominations.
Delhi: Fake Currency With Value of Over Rs 6 Cr Seized
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Experts Recommend Covaxin For Phase 2/3 Trials On 2-8-Year-Olds
- Delhi, Karnataka Among States To Take Global Tender For Covid Vaccine Amid Shortage
- Compensation For Death Of Polling Officers Due To Covid Must Be Rs 1 Crore: Allahabad HC
- Bengal Polls: Widespread Fear Of BJP's Agenda Torpedoed Its Chances
- US Has Donated Half A Billion USD To India As Covid Aid: White House Official
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Paradigm Shift: Punjab Farmers Welcome Direct Payment System
- 32-Year-Old Garbage Collector Who Skipped Jab, Dies Of Covid In Shimla
- What Is Mucormycosis?
- AMU Doctor Dies Of Covid, Toll Of Staff Succumbing To Virus Rises To 35
- Payworld To Assist Rural Folks With Covid Vaccine Registration
- Assam Gets Its First Woman Finance Minister As Sarma Distributes Portfolios
- Why Team India Will Take Covishield?
- Manchester City Win Premier League After Leicester Beat Man United