A dazzling display of 21st century technology, lights and fireworks combined with Britain of the old and a surprise first acting role for Queen Elizabeth alongwith 'James Bond' Daniel Craig marked the opening of the London Olympic Games early this morning.
Billed as a celebration of the creativity and exuberance of the British, the opening ceremony although a bit too long at over 225 minutes, showcased the best of this country's past, present and future.
Watched by an estimated global TV audience of over three billion and nearly 80,000 spectators in the Olympic stadium, the highlight of the ceremony was the use of 70,799 audience pixels, the small panels with 9 LED pixels each were placed between the seats and controlled by a central computer to create amazing images and dramatically colourful effects.
The Indian contingent, led by wrestler Sushil Kumar, was among the 204 participating nations that took part in the march past. The Indian athletes were greeted with a roar by the spectators as they entered the stadium.
Directed by Danny Boyle, of the Oscar-winning Slumdog Millionaire fame, the details of the opening ceremony had been kept under wraps although bits and pieces had leaked to the media.
However, no one expected a short film which showed the Queen with British actor Daniel Craig, the latest of James Bond in Hollywood.
Shot in Buckingham Palace, the film shows Craig being ushered before the Queen playing herself in her first acting role. She leaves with 007 in a helicopter which swoops over London.
The spectacular lighting of the cauldron by seven young athletes was another breathtaking moment of the 27 million pound ceremony.
Dazzling Show Marks Opening of London Games
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Indra Gupta, The Sarkari Doctor Aspiring To Keep Jaipur In The Pink Of Health
- Stay Wherever You Are To Stop Coronavirus From Spreading: PM's Message To Country
- 'Don't Panic,' Sonia Gandhi Tells People, Suggests PM Annouce Sector-Wise Relief Package
- The Viral Learning Curve: Universities And Classes In The Time Of Corona
- Coronavirus: Cases In India Rise To 283; Amid Fear, Country To Observe 'Janata Curfew' Tomorrow
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Vasundhara Raje, Who Attended Party With Kanika Kapoor, Tests Negative For Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: UP Govt To Give Rs 1,000 To Daily Wage Labourers, Construction Workers
- MP: 22 Rebel Congress MLAs Join BJP; Scindia Says Everyone Will Get Tickets
- Clapping Won't Help, Country Needs Economic Package: Rahul's Jibe At PM Modi
- Some To Protest From Balconies Against NRC, CAA During Janta Curfew
- Coronavirus: SC Lawyer Bodies Appeal To CJI To Declare Holidays For 2-4 Weeks
- Mary Kom Breaks Quarantine Protocol Amid Coronavirus Scare
- Coronavirus Grows, As Do Questions: Will The Tokyo Olympics Open?