Former union minister Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi has come back to India after undergoing stereotactic brain surgery using stem cells in Germany, a doctor who attended on him said today.
The 62-year-old Congress leader, who was flown to Germany last week, underwent the surgery at a hospital in Dusseldorf.
"In stereotactic brain surgery, we use images of the brain to guide us to a target within the brain. We inject stem cells collected from bone marrow directly into his brain with help of a hi-tech procedure, " Dr Nils Haberlang, neurosurgeon with Xcell Centre in Dusseldorf, said.
"It has not been tried here in AIIMS yet and not in India till now. Use of stem cell in the brain is yet to be considered," a doctor in the stem cell department in AIIMS said.
Dr Haberlang said that in the case of Dasmunsi "the stem cells were taken from the patient. We collected the bone marrow from the pelvic bone and with isolation procedure collected the stem cells which were then injected directly into his brain."
He along with an anaesthesiologist in Switzerland's Aeskulap Clinic Dr Ben Pfeifer were involved in the surgery. The Xcell-Center is a private clinic group and institute for regenerative medicine located in Düsseldorf and Cologne, Germany.
Dasmunsi is now in Indraprastha Apollo Hospital where he was shifted from AIIMS.
Dasmunsi Back in India After Brain Stem Cell Therapy
THE LATEST ISSUE
- End Of A Generation? Advani, Mulayam, Sonia, Deve Gowda's Political Career Fading Out
- Narendra Modi To Take Oath As PM For Second Term On May 30
- LIVE Updates: Here To Take Blessings Of Gujarat, Says PM Modi In Ahmedabad
- The Importance Of Modi Goes Beyond Narrow Politics: Mahesh Rangarajan
- ICC CWC 2019, IND Vs PAK: Inzamam-ul-Haq Makes Huge Statement Ahead Of Big Clash
- How Can The Opposition Pick Itself Up From This Shattering Defeat?
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- Pak PM Imran Khan Calls PM Modi, Expresses Desire To Work Together
- Rafale Deal: No Question Of FIR Or CBI Probe, Centre Tells SC
- Aide Shot Dead, Smriti Irani Reaches Amethi, Shoulders Body To Cremation
- YSRCP Chief Jaganmohan Reddy Meets PM Modi, Discusses Special Category For AP
- Rahul Gandhi's Snub To Veteran Congress Leaders Who Put Sons Above Party Interest
- CBI Issues Look Out Notice Against Former Kolkata Police Commissioner Rajeev Kumar
- Photo Of Newly Elected MP And His Former Boss Cross-Saluting Each Other Goes Viral
- What BJP's Win In Jammu Means For Kashmir Valley