Former union minister Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi has come back to India after undergoing stereotactic brain surgery using stem cells in Germany, a doctor who attended on him said today.
The 62-year-old Congress leader, who was flown to Germany last week, underwent the surgery at a hospital in Dusseldorf.
"In stereotactic brain surgery, we use images of the brain to guide us to a target within the brain. We inject stem cells collected from bone marrow directly into his brain with help of a hi-tech procedure, " Dr Nils Haberlang, neurosurgeon with Xcell Centre in Dusseldorf, said.
"It has not been tried here in AIIMS yet and not in India till now. Use of stem cell in the brain is yet to be considered," a doctor in the stem cell department in AIIMS said.
Dr Haberlang said that in the case of Dasmunsi "the stem cells were taken from the patient. We collected the bone marrow from the pelvic bone and with isolation procedure collected the stem cells which were then injected directly into his brain."
He along with an anaesthesiologist in Switzerland's Aeskulap Clinic Dr Ben Pfeifer were involved in the surgery. The Xcell-Center is a private clinic group and institute for regenerative medicine located in Düsseldorf and Cologne, Germany.
Dasmunsi is now in Indraprastha Apollo Hospital where he was shifted from AIIMS.
Dasmunsi Back in India After Brain Stem Cell Therapy
THE LATEST ISSUE
- BJP's Indispensable Man, A Raconteur And Mentor: Arun Jaitley Was All These And Much More
- 'Political Giant, Towering Intellectual, Legal Luminary': PM Modi's Tribute To Jaitley
- How Arun Jaitley Played A Key Role In Making Nitish Kumar The Bihar CM
- UAE's Highest Civilian Award For Modi, Egg On Pakistan's Face
- Spilling The Beans: How Murky Was Cafe Coffee Day Founder VG Siddartha's Death
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Naresh Goyal Created Tax Evading Schemes To Siphon Off Funds Abroad: ED
- PV Sindhu Progresses To Final At Badminton World Championships
- Rahul Gandhi-Led Opposition Team Not Allowed To Leave Srinagar Airport, Sent Back
- India Has Lost An Outstanding Parliamentarian: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh Condoles Arun Jaitley's Death
- Press Council Of India Moves SC To Back Communication Blackout In Jammu And Kashmir
- Live, Durand Cup Final: Half-Time, Bagan 0-1 Gokulam
- Why Is Part Of The Amazon Burning?
- PM Modi Defends Article 370 Move In UAE, Says It Ends 'Isolation' Of J&K Which Was Radicalising Youths