Heavy rains are likely to lash coastal areas of Andhra Pradesh and north Tamil Nadu during the next two days as cyclone Laila which further intensified and lay centred in the Bay of Bengal around 400 km east of Chennai, is expected to cross the Andhra coast on Thursday.
"Latest satellite images and radar observation indicates that cyclonic storm Laila lies centred at about 400 km east of Chennai. This system is likely to intensify further and move in a west northwesterly direction and cross the Andhra coast between Ongole and Vishakapatnam in the early hours of Thursday," Met officials here told PTI.
They said that scattered heavy and isolated, very heavy rains would occur over coastal Andhra Pradesh and isolated heavy rain may also occur over North Coastal Tamil Nadu and Puducherry from tonight.
According to them, strong wind with speeds reaching 65-75 kmph was likely to commence along Andhra Coast from tonight. Squally weather with wind speed reaching 50-60 kmph may begin along north Tamil Nadu and Puducherry coast from tonight.
Fishermen have been warned not to venture into the sea as strong surface winds from Southwesterly to Westerly direction with speeds reaching 45-55 kmph were likely off the Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Puducherry coast.
Cyclone Laila Proceeds; to Cross AP Coast by May 20
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 'Disagree With Govt...But No Room For Pakistan To Interfere In Kashmir': Rahul Gandhi
- As Kashmir Lockdown Enters Day 24, SC To Hear Pleas On Scrapping Of Article 370 Today
- Pakistan PM Imran Khan Considering Complete Closure Of Airspace To India, Says His Minister
- BJP Leader Chinmayanand Booked After UP Girl, Now Missing, Accuses Him Of Harassment
- 'Cong Should Have Consulted Its FMs Before...': Sitharaman Reacts To 'Stealing' RBI Money Remark
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- ‘Cows Produce More Milk When Flute Played In Lord Krishna Style’: Assam BJP MLA
- 'Don't Demonise Modi' Not My Phrase...: Shashi Tharoor Hits Back At Critics
- Editors Guild Slams Press Council For Backing Media Ban In Kashmir
- 'Want To Do Skydiving Next,' Says The Man Whose Paragliding Video Has Internet In Splits
- Madrasa Teacher Beaten To Death In Delhi Over Argument On Price Of Headphone
- Kargil War Hero Impersonates Senior To Fly Amit Shah's Aircraft, Probe Ordered
- US Open: Sumit Nagal Goes Down Fighting Against Roger Federer
- Sindhu's World Gold Vs Saina's Olympic Bronze: Gopichand Has His Say