Heavy rains are likely to lash coastal areas of Andhra Pradesh and north Tamil Nadu during the next two days as cyclone Laila which further intensified and lay centred in the Bay of Bengal around 400 km east of Chennai, is expected to cross the Andhra coast on Thursday.
"Latest satellite images and radar observation indicates that cyclonic storm Laila lies centred at about 400 km east of Chennai. This system is likely to intensify further and move in a west northwesterly direction and cross the Andhra coast between Ongole and Vishakapatnam in the early hours of Thursday," Met officials here told PTI.
They said that scattered heavy and isolated, very heavy rains would occur over coastal Andhra Pradesh and isolated heavy rain may also occur over North Coastal Tamil Nadu and Puducherry from tonight.
According to them, strong wind with speeds reaching 65-75 kmph was likely to commence along Andhra Coast from tonight. Squally weather with wind speed reaching 50-60 kmph may begin along north Tamil Nadu and Puducherry coast from tonight.
Fishermen have been warned not to venture into the sea as strong surface winds from Southwesterly to Westerly direction with speeds reaching 45-55 kmph were likely off the Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Puducherry coast.
Cyclone Laila Proceeds; to Cross AP Coast by May 20
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- India Sees Slight Dip In Covid Daily Count: Records 3,66,161 New Cases And 3,754 Deaths
- 34 Aligarh Muslim University Professors Succumb To Covid-19 In Last 18 Days
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- Himanta Biswa Sarma Takes Oath As The CM Of Assam, Here Are The Names Of Other Ministers
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Covid: What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection?
- UP: Seven Held For Stealing Clothes Off Bodies And Selling Them
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Dramatic Draw Not Enough To Keep Title In Real's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly