Heavy rains are likely to lash coastal areas of Andhra Pradesh and north Tamil Nadu during the next two days as cyclone Laila which further intensified and lay centred in the Bay of Bengal around 400 km east of Chennai, is expected to cross the Andhra coast on Thursday.
"Latest satellite images and radar observation indicates that cyclonic storm Laila lies centred at about 400 km east of Chennai. This system is likely to intensify further and move in a west northwesterly direction and cross the Andhra coast between Ongole and Vishakapatnam in the early hours of Thursday," Met officials here told PTI.
They said that scattered heavy and isolated, very heavy rains would occur over coastal Andhra Pradesh and isolated heavy rain may also occur over North Coastal Tamil Nadu and Puducherry from tonight.
According to them, strong wind with speeds reaching 65-75 kmph was likely to commence along Andhra Coast from tonight. Squally weather with wind speed reaching 50-60 kmph may begin along north Tamil Nadu and Puducherry coast from tonight.
Fishermen have been warned not to venture into the sea as strong surface winds from Southwesterly to Westerly direction with speeds reaching 45-55 kmph were likely off the Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Puducherry coast.
Cyclone Laila Proceeds; to Cross AP Coast by May 20
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 24 More Who Attended Religious Gathering At Delhi's Nizamuddin Test Positive For Coronavirus
- Why India Needs Social Safeguarding Measures To Protect Marginalised In Time Of Corona
- 'My Mother Is Dead. I Am Stuck In Coronavirus Lockdown': Bihar Labourer Cries For Help In Delhi
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Maharashtra Case Count Reaches 230; 17 More Test Positive In MP
- How Is Tendulkar Handling COVID-19? 'Time To Accept, Adapt' Says Little Master In Exclusive Diary
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Rebranding China In The Time Of Coronavirus
- Those In Home Quarantine In Karnataka Directed To Send Selfies Every Hour To Govt
- Govt Identifies 10 Coronavirus Hotspots As Positive Cases Surge
- 'Helps Reduce Stress And Anxiety': PM Modi Shares Video Of Yoga Asan
- Six Who Attended Religious Gathering In Delhi Die Due Of Covid-19 In Telangana
- IPL Team Owners Have Discussed Staging Games Behind Closed Doors
- COVID-19 Could Throw Millions Of Asians Into Poverty: World Bank
- COVID-19: Rohit Donates INR 80 Lakh