Actress Anushka Sharma was today stopped by the customs officials at the International airport here for carrying gold and diamond studded jewellery and other belongings, which may be unaccounted for.
The 23-year old actress was returning from IIFA award ceremony in Toronto and landed at the airport at 2.30 pm from Toronto via Singapore. She was stopped while passing through the green channel, a Customs official said.
While checking her baggage, the gold and diamond-studded jewellery worth between Rs 20 to Rs 40 lakh was found in her possession, the official said, adding that the actor claimed that while going abroad, she had taken the valuables from India and had declared the goods at that time and hence need not pay the duty.
"We are verifying the claims made by the actress," the Customs official said adding that further proceedings are on.
The Band Baaja Baraat star received the Best Actress award at IIFA in Toronto. Meanwhile, Anushka's spokesperson said she was carrying accessories that were given to her by various brands.
"She is at the Customs only to sign the formal paperwork for the borrowed accessories," her spokesperson told PTI.
"She would be out soon. The concerned brands would produce the documents (confirming the ownership of the jewellery) and collect the valuables from the customs. It is not her personal stuff," she added.
Actress Minissha Lamba had been detained by the Customs in May for carrying dutiable jewellery that she had not declared. Bipasha Basu had also been stopped at the airport for carrying valuables from abroad.
Customs Stop Anushka Sharma at Mumbai Airport
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Union Budget of India, Live Updates: Govt Proposes To Streamline Multiple Labour Laws, Says FM
- Haren Pandya Murder Case: SC Convicts 12 Persons For Killing Ex-Gujarat Home Minister
- Kulbhushan Jadhav Case: UN Court To Deliver Verdict On India's Appeal On July 17
- Budget 2019: Red Cloth For Documents Instead Of Briefcase 'Departure From Slavery Of Western Thought'
- PAK Vs BAN: We Will Try To Score 500: Sarfaraz
- Let Not 'Jai Shri Ram' Be Misused As 'Allahu Akbar'
- Trump's America Is Once Again Locking Horns With Iran. What Should India Do?
- Do Driving And Education Have A Connection?
- Ola, Ole! How's The Patient Doing?
- Salman Khan’s Fears Misplaced, No Reviewer Can Make Or Mar A Film Destined For Greatness
- With No Malls, No App-Based Economy, Kashmir Stuck At Where It Was 2 Decades Ago
- Budget 2019: India Needs Structural Reforms To Become $5 Trillion Economy, Says Sitharaman
- MLA Nitesh Rane, 16 Supporters Arrested For Pouring Mud On Engineer
- UP On Alert Over Reports Of Protest By Muslims On Friday
- Budget 2019: What Industry And Business Leaders Expect
- Centre Orders Probe Into Jet Airways Over Alleged Mismanagement, Siphoning of funds
- AAP's Raghav Chadha Moves Court Challenging South Delhi LS Poll Result
- Rahul Gandhi Takes Cocaine, Says BJP MP Subramanian Swamy
- Decoded: Why ‘300’ Figures In All Airbus Civilian Jetliners