A CBI officer, entrusted with the task to pursue the plea in a Delhi court for extradition of former Union Carbide Corporation chief Warren M Anderson in connection with Bhopal gas tragedy, was today hauled up for saying that the court just has to authenticate the plea.
Irked by CBI SP V Murugesan's insistence for simple authentication of the agency's application for extradition, Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav said "are you saying that I just have to authenticate it and have no adjudicating power?"
"If this is how CBI treats the court, I cannot say anything," an exasperated CMM said.
The court made the remark when the CBI SP, while answering the court's poser on delay in making the extradition plea, insisted the court had to just endorse it and the rest would be taken care of through diplomatic channels.
"If the time limitation period could be decided by the diplomats, why have you come to the court?" snapped the CMM, adding "if you want to take an order from the court, you must satisfy the court."
"We cannot open the case as per whims and fancies of CBI," the judge said adding it appears as if "what he (the CBI officer) says is a gospel truth and I just have to authenticate it."
The court also grilled the CBI official and said "why in 1999 itself (after signing of Indo-US Extradition Treaty), the recourse (to extradition) was not taken under the treaty?" adding, "is it not belated?"
The court also scoffed at the CBI SP's assertion that the agency has enough records to prosecute Anderson, taunting him that the agency has also a room full of records in the Bofors pay-off scam.
"I have a full room filled with records of the Bofors case," the court snapped.
The court rued that CBI, instead of appreciating the sentiments of the people, has been behaving in a typical police fashion.
During the court proceedings, Murugesan, however, profusely apologised from the court for his behaviour.
Court Ticks Off CBI for Asking It to Authenticate Its Plea
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Clueless Congress Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Cong To Form Fact-Finding Team To Analyse Poll Debacle
- Corpses Found Floating In Ganga
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Himachal: Cyber Thugs Target Covid Patients With False Promises Of Hospital Beds, Remdesivir
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- In A First, An Independent Candidate In TN Releases Election Expenses
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine