A Bihar court today summoned Congress President Sonia Gandhi to appear before it on July 29 in connection with a complaint alleging that her depiction in posters in Uttar Pradesh in 2007 as Goddess Durga was an "insult to Hindu religion".
Additional District and Sessions Judge (Muzaffarpur) A K Srivastava ordered issue of the summon after hearing the complainant and senior advocate Sudhir Kumar Ojha.
The judge asked Gandhi to appear either in person or through her lawyer in the court to explain her position.
He also issued a separate summon to Uttar Pradesh Congess Committee (UPCC) president Rita Bahuguna and the party's Muradabad district president to appear before the court the same day in the case.
Ojha in his petition alleged that a photograph had appeared in the Muzaffarpur edition of a Hindi daily on June 21, 2007 of the Congress president allegedly depicted as Goddess Durga which was "an insult to Hindi religion and the Hindu community."
The picture was also displayed in the office of he Muradabad Congress.
Ojha alleged that Gandhi and others had connived to have the picture displayed "to insult the religion of the Hindu community".
Earlier, Judicial Magistrate, Muzaffarpur, Md Rustam had on August 28, 2009 dismissed the complaint of the petitioner under section 203 of CrPC (no sufficient ground for proceeding).
The petitioner had then filed a revision petition in the court of Srivastava challenging the previous order.
Court Summons Sonia Over Goddess Durga Poster
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid-19?
- ID Proof, Positive Covid Report Not Mandatory For Hospitalisation: Centre
- Clueless Congress Continues To Stumble From One Electoral Defeat To Another
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- In A First, An Independent Candidate In Tamil Nadu Releases Election Expenses
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Citing Covid Surge, Cong Postpones President Election To June
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Delhi’s Covaxin Stock Will Run Out In A Day: Satyendar Jain
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Bach Cancels Japan Trip Because Of COVID Cases
- Shafali Verma Set To Play In The Hundred, May Feature In WBBL Also