A sessions court is likely to pass its order tomorrow on the bail plea of Abdul Samad Bhatkal, alleged suspect in Pune German Bakery blast case and arrested in a 2009 illegal arms seizure case.
Samad, who is in judicial custody, had approached the sessions court earlier this month, seeking bail in connection with the arms case on the grounds that there were no serious allegations against him.
The ATS, which had arrested Samad on May 25 from Mangalore airport, had however opposed the plea saying the investigation in the arms case was still on and releasing Samad on bail would not be safe.
According to the ATS, Samad is a close aide of gangster Chhota Shakeel and had supplied firearms to three other persons who were arrested in August last year.
"The remaining three accused in the arms case are out on bail. So, on grounds of parity, even Samad should be granted bail. Moreover, if his name had figured in this case last year itself, why did the ATS wait for a year before arresting him? He has been falsely implicated," Samad's lawyer Mubin Solkar said.
Soon after his arrest, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram had said Samad was a prime suspect in the February 2010 German Bakery blast in Pune that killed 17 persons. However, ATS has not booked Samad in the Pune blast case till now.
Court Order on Bhatkal's Bail Plea Likely on June 15
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Explained: What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- The Shadow Of Satellite On Negroponte Switch
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly