In a relief to Buddhist spiritual leader Ogyen Trinley Dorje, a local court today granted him exemption from personal appearance in the foreign currency seizure case.
Judicial Magistrate, Una, Kanika Chawla granted the permission after Karmapa's counsel approached the court today.
Narendra Pal Singh, lawyer of the Karmapa's office of administration, pleaded that Karmappa has not received the summon and he was appearing suo moto as reports have appeared in the press that he was avoiding the notice.
"We moved the application on the basis of media reports that the Karmapa was evading the notice which was not true," he said.
He also told the court that Karmappa was away from his home for religious preachings.
Accepting the plea, the court set August 4 as next dare of hearing.
The Chief Judicial Magistrate had asked the Karmapa and nine others, including his aides, to appear personally in the court on March 6.
The Una Police had filed the charge sheet against Karmapa and nine others on December 7, 2011 but the notice could not be served on Karmappa as he was away to Bodh Gaya for religious preachings.
The Karmapa has been charged under section 120B of IPC for conspiracy while nine others including Karmappa's close aide, Rubgi Chosang, alias Shakti Lama were charge-sheeted in connection with recovery of currency of 26 countries worth about Rs 7 million from Gyuto Tantric University and Karmae Garchen Trust of Karmappa by the police on January 28 last year.
The Karmapa is the spiritual head of the Karma Kagyu school, one of the four sects of Tibetan Buddhism.
Court Grants Karmapa's Exemption From Appearance
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly