A local court today granted time till October 25 to Zakia Jafri to file a protest petition on the closure report filed by Special Investigation Team giving clean chit to Chief Minister Narendra Modi and others in 2002 post-Godhra riots.
"As we have filed a petition in Supreme Court seeking clarification of certain issues related to this case we request that court should grant reasonable time to file us the protest petition against the SIT closure report," submitted advocate S M Vora who represents Zakia in this case.
Acting upon this application Metropolitan Magistrate B J Ganatra while granting the time, directed Zakia to produce the order of the SC, if passed, by October 25 when the next hearing of the case is fixed.
"Looking at the past three orders of this court and line of arguments put forward by SIT it appears that there is an impression that our complaint was only limited to the Gulberg Society massacre, where in fact we had complained about the role of CM and others in state-wide riots," said Vora.
"This has prompted us to move to Supreme Court to seek clarification that its order pertaining to Zakia's case is not only restricted to Gulberg Society case but is applicable to state-wide riots," he added.
Though the Supreme Court-appointed SIT has strongly objected the prayer of granting more time to Zakia on the ground that the apex court has not granted any stay on the proceedings of this court and hence Zakia should be asked to promptly file her protest petition.
SIT, after investigating the complaint filed by Zakia against Narendra Modi and others, had submitted its closure report on February 8 this year, absolving all of them of any wrongdoings in post-Godhra riots where more then 1200 people had lost their lives.
The Supreme Court in its order had told SIT to submit its final report in the local court here and given complainant Zakia liberty to file a protest petition against the closure report filed by the investigating agency.
Court Gives More Time to Zakia on SIT Closure Report
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Cases In India Soar to 519; Death Toll Reaches 10
- Tokyo Olympics Postponed Until 2021
- Coronavirus: India Exercised Social Distancing Well, But Are We Prepared For Next Stage?
- Centre Announces Economic Relief Measures Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- China To Lift Lockdown In Coronavirus Epicentre Hubei Province Tomorrow
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- 'Release All Detainees, Restore 4G': Omar 's First Word After Detention
- Economists, Activists Urge Govt For Coronavirus Relief Package For Poor
- Coronavirus Lockdown: Know Your Essential Services
- First Violence, Now Coronavirus, Delhi's Riot Victims Have Nowhere To Go
- Humour And Solitary Walks: Mental Health Advisory In Kashmir To Fight Corona Crisis
- Police Clear Anti-CAA Protest Site At Shaheen Bagh Amid COVID-19 Fears
- Srinagar's First COVID-19 Patient Successfully Treated: Officials
- Will IPL Happen? Ganguly Doesn't Have An Answer