Odafe Onyeka Okolie did not let off-field issues bog him down and struck twice to script Churchill Brothers' 2-2 draw against Mohun Bagan in the round nine I-League encounter at Vidyasagar Krirangan here today.
The Nigerian striker, who was arrested with two others on charges of molestation on board his flight to Kolkata, scored twice to negate the two-goal effort of Jose Ramirez Barreto of Mohun Bagan and walk away with the Man of the Match award.
The one point earned from the match enabled Churchill Brothers remain on the lead spot with 17 points, while Mohun Bagan have 14, having played nine matches each.
Odafe bounced back from the controversial episode to win the lead for Churchill in the eighth minute before Barreto's strikes in the 35th and 49th minutes out Bagan ahead.
Odafe, however, found the net again in the 69th minute to score the equaliser.
Earlier, Barreto wasted a fine opportunity after the kick-off when he failed to convert from eight yards.
The miss proved costly for Mohun Bagan as the reigning I-League champions went one up immediately in space of a couple of minutes.
Odafe gave Churchill the lead when the Nigerian headed one from a Dan Ito free-kick.
Mohun Bagan custodian Sangram Mukherjee surged ahead to hold on to the Ito free-kick as their defenders went out of place, the chance was enough for Odafe to open his account.
Controversy-Ridden Churchill Hold Bagan in 2-2 Draw
THE LATEST ISSUE
- JEE Advanced Cut Off Lowest In Recent Years, Here’s Why?
- RCB Vs DC: Vibrant Delhi Rout Bangalore By 59 Runs To Go Top Of Table
- In Absence Of Ailing Paswan, Son Chirag Left To Fight His Own Battle In Bihar Polls
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- Hathras Case: Forensic Report That Denied Rape Contains No Value, Say Medical Experts
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- Ashwin Leaves Finch With 'Mankading' Warning
- Reopening Of Schools After Months Of Lockdown
- Trio Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Discovery Of Hepatitis C Virus
- FIR Registration Should Be Made Compulsory For All States: Gehlot
- Smriti Irani Calls Rahul Gandhi A 'VIP Kisan'
- Scientists Say ‘Feluda’ Test Could Help India Battle COVID-19
- Foreign Secretary, Army Chief Of India Visit Myanmar
- Delhi Capitals Will Be Hard To Beat In IPL 2020, Says RCB Skipper Virat Kohli