Buoyed by Congress' defeat in the Hisar bypolls, Uttarakhand Chief Minister B C Khanduri today predicted the party would face the same fate in the upcoming state Assembly elections.
"Some political analysts are attributing the victory of HJC-BJP combine candidate Kuldip Bishnoi to the intense caste politics in Haryana," Khanduri said, adding people's angst against corruption also contributed to Congress' defeat.
Hailing social activist Anna Hazare for his campaign against corruption, the chief minister said, "Anna factor is working everywhere, directly or indirectly. We hope to see it (working) in Uttarakhand also."
The ruling BJP is locked in a direct fight against main Opposition Congress in the forthcoming Assembly elections early next year in the state where the two parties have witnessed a narrow contest here in the past as well with victory margins ranging between .5 to 1.5 per cent.
Apparently drawing inspiration from Hazare, Khanduri has launched a series of initiatives for good governance in Uttarakhand by setting up a department of corruption eradication and public service, formulating a new transparent transfer policy, a Right to Public Service Act and the decision to make a strong and effective Lokayukta, bringing the post of chief minister under its ambit.
On when the strong Lokayukta would take a concrete shape, Khanduri said by next month the measure would come into existence but refused comment on whether the new Lokayukta would be brought through a bill in the State Assembly or through an ordinance.
Referring to making public the details of assets of state Cabinet ministers, IAS and IPS officers, Khanduri said, "I have read through some newspapers that some IAS officers are opposing the move. They are alleging that such information can be misused."
Hours after being sworn in as the new chief minister, Khanduri had directed all Cabinet ministers and IAS and IPS officers in the state to declare their assets by October 15.
Cong Will Be Defeated in Uttarakhand Polls: Khanduri
THE LATEST ISSUE
- DDLJ@25: A Love Story That Still Tugs At The Heartstrings
- DC Vs CSK: Axar Cameo, Dhawan's Maiden Ton Give Delhi Stunning Win
- Sabarimala Opening May Further Stress Healthcare System: Kerala Health Minister
- LATHICHARGE DIARY: RLD Leader Jayant Chaudhary On Being Caned In Hathras
- Govt To Revise Minimum Age Of Marriage For Girls Soon: PM Modi
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- RR Vs RCB: ABD Lifts Bangalore To Thrilling Win
- Press, Trust And India: Govt Mulls Its Own News Service
- Editors Guild Of India Gets Its First Elected President
- PM Reviews Vaccine Delivery Plan, Seeks 'Speedy Access'
- Gupkar Alliance Needs Clear Roadmap, Say Kashmir Parties
- Hathras Rape: Victim's Family Wants To Shift To Delhi For Security Reasons
- Global Hunger Index 2020: India Ranks 94 Out Of 107 Countries
- Everton 2-2 Liverpool: Henderson Winner Denied By VAR In Frantic Derby