Congress today formed a six-member group led by former Union Minister Ambika Soni to suggest measures for electoral reforms, an idea mooted by Congress President Sonia Gandhi at the party's recent Chintan Shivir in Jaipur.
The other members of the group are Oil Minister M Veerappa Moily, former Union Ministers M S Gill and Mani Shankar
Aiyar, party MP E M S Natchiappan and an expert Mohan Gopal.
Announcing the decision, Congress general secretary Janardan Dwivedi said the group will make recommendations for electoral reforms but declined to give any timeline for doing so.
While the Jaipur declaration of Congress had said that the party will pursue vigorously an agenda for electoral and judicial reforms, Sonia Gandhi had made a strong pitch for electoral reforms as well as looking into the issue of political funding.
"We have to admit that people are getting disillusioned with the political process. We have to understand what the causes of this disillusionment are and we have to do away with this with sensitivity," Gandhi had said.
She had also announced the setting up of a special group within the party to consider all suggestions and come out with a programme at the earliest.
"We have to make now time bound programmes to do it," she had said.
There has been a growing demand from various quarters in the country for bringing about crucial electoral reforms that include banning of criminals from contesting elections and addressing the issue of political funding by bringing in more democracy in political parties.
The Election Commission of India has also been pressing the government for bringing such reforms at the earliest and has given a proposal, which is pending with the government.
Cong Forms Panel to Look Into Electoral Reforms Issue
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Chinmayanand Case: SC Asks UP Govt To Produce Harassed Woman Before It Today
- One Nation, One Legislation: After Article 370, Uniform Civil Code BJP’s Next? How It Will Impact You
- Security Tightened In Assam, Section 144 Clamped In Guwahati Ahead Of Final NRC
- Shashi Tharoor’s Travails Among Kerala’s Lilliputians
- Arun Jaitley & P Chidambaram: Tale Of Two Ex-Finance Ministers
- New Job For Justice Gaur: Even Arun Jaitley Felt It Was Wrong To Reward Retiring Judges
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC Says Army Torturing Kashmiris, India Denies Reports
- Assam CM Sonowal Asks People Not To Panic Ahead Of Final NRC
- Army Chief Bipin Rawat To Visit Srinagar Today For The First Time After Revocation Of Article 370: Report
- After ED Summons, Congress Leader Shivakumar Moves HC Seeking Protection From Arrest
- Ashes: Jack Leach Reveals 'Weird' Lucky Charm That Spurred Ben Stokes In Leeds
- 'My Husband Has Not Talked To His Parents In 22 Days': Urmila On Kashmir Lockdown
- India, Pakistan Officials Hold Technical Talks On Kartarpur Corridor Amid Tensions Over Kashmir
- Virat Kohli On Verge Of Breaking MS Dhoni's Record