Chief Election Commissioner Navin B Chawla today said making voting compulsory was not "practical" and maintained that the legislatures will have to take a call on the issue.
He also said the Election Commission will soon hold a meeting with the Union Law Secretary to discuss among other things derecognition of small parties which did not take part in the poll process for a specific period in the past.
To a query from mediapersons here on making voting compulsory, Chawla said, "it is not practical".
"Suppose 200 million people did not vote, is it possible to file case against each of them," he asked. There were many people working in unorganised sector who cannot come to vote, the CEC said.
He said Parliament or assemblies will have to debate such issues and enact laws. "It is the choice of Parliament. We have no machinery that would help make everybody vote," he said, adding, people will have to involve themselves in the democratic process and vote.
On mushrooming of small political parties, he said, "we have written to government seeking their permission to derecognise them (such parties). It is an important issue and we will take it up with them (the government)".
Describing electronic voting machines (EVMs) being used for polls as "perfect", he said there was no need for any "technological improvement" to be made on them.
"Till today, no individual could prove that the EVMs used by the EC can be tampered with," he said.
On criminalisation of politics, Chawla said a "climate" opposed to it has been created now with almost all political leaders and media speaking against the menace.
He said during the Diamond Jubilee celebrations of EC in January, "everybody said they are against criminalisation of politics. Not only the EC is opposed to criminalisation of politics, even media and political leaders oppose it."
"When leaders speak clearly against criminalisation of politics, it is a heartening signal. All right-minded political parties are going in the right direction," he said.
Compulsory Voting Not Practical: Navin Chawla
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Explained: What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- Dramatic Equaliser Not Enough To Keep La Liga Title In Real Madrid's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly