A Delhi court today charged former Union Minister C K Jaffer Sharief with causing loss to the public exchequer in a 1995 corruption case involving a foreign jaunt undertaken by him.
Special CBI Judge N K Kaushik fixed August 21 to commence the trial against the senior congress leader who has been charged with various offences under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Sharief has pleaded innocence and has claimed trial in the case along with four others.
He is accused of 'dishonestly' ensuring journey of his erstwhile Additional Private Secretary B N
Nagesh, stenos S M Masthan and V Muralidharn, and driver C H Samaullah to London with him.
The Supreme court earlier on May 10 had refused to stay the framing of charges against
The case dated back to 1995 when Sharief, as an Union minister had gone to London for his treatment and had allegedly taken four of his official staffers on the trip
unauthorisedly, causing a loss of Rs seven lakh to the state exchequer.
The CBI had filed the closure report in the case for want of official sanction to prosecute him, but the trial court had proceeded against him.
An FIR was registered against Sharief in 1998 by the CBI, however, in 2005, the agency filed a closure report citing refusal of sanction.
The lower court, however, had rejected the closure report saying it appeared that the entire material collected by the prosecution had not been placed before sanctioning authority.
The CBI again filed a closure report. The special judge, however, declined the CBI request and took cognisance of the offence under P C Act.
C.K. Jaffer Sharief to Face Trial in 1995 Corruption Case
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Who Will Form The Next Govt? Results Of High-Stakes Lok Sabha Elections On Thursday
- Lok Sabha Election Results: Why Karnataka, Bengal, Odisha May Spring A Surprise
- Lok Sabha Election Results: Regional Parties May Hold More Trumps Than BJP, Congress
- Anxious Congress, UPA Allies Await LS Poll Results After Exit Poll Trauma
- Home Ministry Alerts States About Possible Violence During Counting Of Votes
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- CWC 2019: There Will Be Disappointment If India Rely Too Heavily On Kohli, Warns Tendulkar
- Opposition 'Tarnishing' India's Democracy By Questioning EVMs: Amit Shah
- 'Enfeebled Commission': Congress Slams EC, Says It Is Black Day For Democracy
- Govt Clears Names Of Four Judges For Elevation To Supreme Court: Report
- Rahul Gandhi vs Smriti Irani, Modi vs Ajay Rai, Rajnath vs Poonam Sinha: Key Contests In UP
- Delhi Minister, Activist Prashant Bhushan Booked For Tweets On EVM Hacking
- Indian Air Force Successfully Test Fires Aerial Version Of BrahMos Missile From Su-30 MKI Fighter Aircraft
- Party Workers Keep 24-Hour Vigil Outside EVM Strongrooms Ahead Of Counting Day