Citibank head Vikram Pandit concluded his maiden visit to India after taking over as head of the America's leading bank avoiding some tough questions like recent fraud at Gurgaon branch.
Pandit was in India to participate in the spring meeting of the Institute of International Finance (IIF), an association of over 400 global financial institutions spread across 70 countries.
His visit has come at time when Citibank is embroiled in a Rs 460 crore fraud case perpetrated by an employee of the bank at its Gurgaon branch. The fraud case is being inquired into by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and the local police.
In the US, Citibank is facing USD 425 million law suit in the Madoff fraud case. Fraud Mastermind Bernard Madoff was arrested in December 2008 after he admitted running a multi billion-dollar financial racket for several years.
Although Pandit participated in a widely broadcast programme at the IIF conference along with RIL chairman Mukesh Ambani and ICICI Bank chairman K V Kamath, he refused to entertain questions by the media persons on operations of the bank.
Also a scheduled press conference by Pandit on Friday was cancelled by Citibank.
Pandit took over as CEO of the Citigroup in December 2007 replacing Chuck Prince. The Indian government in 2008 had honoured Pandit with Padma Bhushan.
Citibank CEO Ends India Trip, Dodges Questions
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Who Next? The Big Fear Troubling Congress After Chidambaram’s Arrest
- Chidambaram Sent To CBI Custody Till August 26 In INX Media Case
- OPINION | Puppets On A Chain, Kashmir's 'Pro-India' Parties NC, PDP Dug Their Own Grave
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- ISRO Releases First Image Of Moon Captured By Chandrayaan-2
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media: The Case That Led To Chidambaram's Downfall
- Chidambaram Spends Night At CBI Headquarters Whose Inauguration He Attended In 2011
- Will Swap 100 Acres Of Land For Ravidas Temple Construction: Kejriwal After Protesters Swarm Delhi
- Badminton Worlds: Sindhu, Praneeth Enter Quarters; Srikanth, Prannoy Out
- Oil Companies Stop Fuel Supply To Air India At Six Airports Due To Non-payment Of Dues
- Live, West Indies v India, 1st Test, Day 1, Antigua
- Rajiv Gandhi Got Massive Mandate In 1984, But Didn’t Use It To Create Atmosphere Of Fear: Sonia Gandhi
- Demonising Modi All The Time Won't Help, It's Time We Recognise His Work: Jairam Ramesh