Citibank head Vikram Pandit concluded his maiden visit to India after taking over as head of the America's leading bank avoiding some tough questions like recent fraud at Gurgaon branch.
Pandit was in India to participate in the spring meeting of the Institute of International Finance (IIF), an association of over 400 global financial institutions spread across 70 countries.
His visit has come at time when Citibank is embroiled in a Rs 460 crore fraud case perpetrated by an employee of the bank at its Gurgaon branch. The fraud case is being inquired into by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and the local police.
In the US, Citibank is facing USD 425 million law suit in the Madoff fraud case. Fraud Mastermind Bernard Madoff was arrested in December 2008 after he admitted running a multi billion-dollar financial racket for several years.
Although Pandit participated in a widely broadcast programme at the IIF conference along with RIL chairman Mukesh Ambani and ICICI Bank chairman K V Kamath, he refused to entertain questions by the media persons on operations of the bank.
Also a scheduled press conference by Pandit on Friday was cancelled by Citibank.
Pandit took over as CEO of the Citigroup in December 2007 replacing Chuck Prince. The Indian government in 2008 had honoured Pandit with Padma Bhushan.
Citibank CEO Ends India Trip, Dodges Questions
THE LATEST ISSUE
- In Naveen’s Crosshairs: Vengeful Odisha Govt Goes After Leading Odia News Channel
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- The Saudi Crown Prince Reveals His Schizophrenia
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- 'You Can't Stop Thefts Till Thieves Repent': R. Ashwin On 'Mankading'
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- IAF Has Demonstrated Its Capability To Engage With The Adversary: IAF Chief
- Bihar Elections: Former DGP Gupteshwar Pandey Left Ticketless
- Batting Let Bowlers Down, Says CSK Skipper Dhoni After Yet Another Defeat
- China Will Pay A Big Price For Spreading Covid-19 Globally: Trump
- I Am Still A Student Of Cinema: Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- Tablighi Case: Freedom Of Speech Most Abused, Says SC
- India’s GDP Expected To Contract By 9.6 Percent This Fiscal: World Bank
- Ind Vs Aus 2020-21: Cricket Series To Start With ODIs In Brisbane From Nov 25