Cementing its foothold in India's backyard, China today signed a contract with the International Seabed Authority (ISA) to gain rights to explore poly metallic sulphide ore deposit in Indian Ocean over the next 15 years.
The exploration contract was signed between China Ocean Mineral Resources Research and Development Association and UN- backed International Seabed Authority (ISA), which is an inter-governmental body with observer status in the UN.
The contract awarded the Chinese association exclusive rights to explore a 10,000-square-km of international seabed in the southwest Indian Ocean, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
According to the contract, the Chinese association will have to give up 75 per cent of the ore deposit region within 10 years before enjoying pre-emptive rights of commercially mining the remaining 2,500-square-km, the report said.
The Chinese association will also have to fulfill specified duties of conducting environmental monitoring, environmental baseline research and training scientific workers for other developing countries, according to the contract.
Friday's signing is the second time China has gained the right to explore an international seabed ore deposit.
In 2001, it obtained rights to prospect a 75,000-square-km area of international seabed for poly metallic nodule ore in the northeast Pacific Ocean.
The move has already raised concerns in India when it was announced in August.
The Directorate of Naval Intelligence (DNI) reportedly expressed its reservations to the Indian government about the deal which it believed could provide an excuse for China to operate its warships besides compiling data on the vast mineral resources in India’s backyard.
China to Mine Polymetallic Sulphide in Indian Ocean
K J M Varma/Beijing
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- How Vaccines Work And React On Different Body Types
- Bihar: 71 Corpses Recovered From Ganga
- 26 Covid Patients Die At Goa Govt Hospital
- Bengal Polls: Widespread Fear Of BJP's Agenda Torpedoed Its Chances
- China’s Wolf Warrior Warns Bangladesh Against Joining The Quad
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Paradigm Shift: Punjab Farmers Welcome Direct Payment System
- 32-Year-Old Garbage Collector Who Skipped Jab, Dies Of Covid In Shimla
- What Is Mucormycosis?
- AMU Doctor Dies Of Covid, Toll Of Staff Succumbing To Virus Rises To 35
- Payworld To Assist Rural Folks With Covid Vaccine Registration
- Assam Gets Its First Woman Finance Minister As Sarma Distributes Portfolios
- Why Team India Will Take Covishield?
- Sania Mirza's Fight With Depression