China Says Stand on Kashmir Consistent, Avoids Commenting on Pak's Plan for Gilgit-Baltistan
China today skirted a direct response to Pakistan's plan to declare the Gilgit-Baltistan region as its fifth province and said the Kashmir issue should be resolved between India and Pakistan through dialogue.
When asked about Pakistan's plan, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying reiterated China's position on the Kashmir issue.
"The essence of your question is about the issue of Kashmir. China's position on the issue is consistent and clear," she told reporters.
"We believe that it is an issue left over from the history between India and Pakistan and it should be resolved between the two sides through dialogue and consultation through proper manner," she said.
About the USD 46 billion China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) which goes through Gilgit-Baltistan region over which India has protested to Beijing, Hua said, "the CPEC will not affect China's position on the relevant (Kashmir) issue".
Reports from Pakistan say that the decision to incorporate Gilgit-Baltistan as a new province was taken following pressure from China over the legal status of the two areas which formed part of the CPEC.
India yesterday termed as "entirely unacceptable" any possible attempt by Pakistan to declare the Gilgit-Baltistan region, bordering the disputed Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, as the fifth province.
External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Gopal Baglay said in New Delhi that any such step would not be able to hide the illegality of Pakistan's occupation of parts of Jammu and Kashmir which it must vacate, forthwith.
- CAG Report Flags 'Critical' Shortage Of Ammunition
- Fake Chinese Spares for Home-Made Bofors Guns
- J&K: Seven Policemen Thrashed By Army Personnel In Ganderbal
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Fake Chinese Spares for Home-Made Bofors Guns, CBI Files FIR
- PM Modi Visited 49 Countries In Last Three Years, Government Tells Parliament
- Hindu Nationalism Risks Pushing New Delhi Into War with Beijing: Chinese Media
- I Would Be A Farmer If Genes Mattered: Kangana Breaks Silence On Eugenics And Nepotism
- US Designates Hizbul Head Salahuddin As Global Terrorist, India Welcomes Move
- Arab Nations Extend Deadline By 48 Hours For Qatar To Respond To Their Demands
- Chinese Army Denies Violating Bhutan's Territory, Asks India To 'Correct Its Wrong-Doings'
- 'Apka Swagat Hai Mere Dost,' Israeli PM Welcomes Modi