Urging world leaders to take serious note of "repression" of Tibetans by China, Lobsang Sangay, prime minister of Tibetan government-in-exile, today said Beijing has ignored his offers for a compromise.
"We are ready for a compromise, but Beijing is not ready for it. Chinese administration is continuing its strong policies of repression against Tibetans," he told reporters here.
He said Tibetans were pursuing a middle way approach to China and demanding genuine autonomy within China.
"The Chinese government is not ready to concede this. I do not think there can be a more reasonable demand than this," said Sangay, who has been in office for the past 15 months.
He contended that the demand for genuine autonomy was within the framework of Chinese Constitution.
Asked whether he supported the self-immolation by Tibetan monks in China, he as "we have appealed to them not to resort to such acts or take any such steps that would harm us. But, as a Tibetan we express our solidarity with them and are supportive of their objectives."
On his expectations from the new Chinese leadership, he said, "It would be too early to comment. We don't think there would be any change in their policies."
Sangay claimed that there were more Chinese troops in Tibet than Buddhist monks and more close circuit television cameras than house windows.
"Tibetans are living under an undeclared martial law," he claimed.
China Ignored Our Offers of Compromise: Lobsang Sangay
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- 'Have Lost Courage’: YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- As India Battles The Virus, Let Us Not Weaken National Resolve
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- T20 World Cup Could Be Postponed Or Shifted From India: Ian Chappell