World chess Champion Viswanathan Anand and painter Ram Kumar were today conferred lifetime achievement award by Delhi Government for their outstanding contribution in the field of sports and art respectively.
The honour was conferred by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit at a function. Both of them were presented a cheque of Rs 11 lakh and a citation.
Speaking on the occasion, Dikshit said her government was privileged to honour the World Chess Champion and the renowned painter.
The 41-year-old chess champion had won the inaugural Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award in the year 1991-1992, the Padma Bhushan in 2000 and the Padma Vibhushan in 2007.
Ram Kumar's paintings have gained global appreciation and he is considered as one of the most brilliant painters among his contemporaries. The Government of India awarded him the Padmashree in 1972.
Dikshit said people like Anand and Kumar are assets of the nation who have significantly contributed to enriching the lives of people and the society.
"Both of them have made the country proud because of their consistent and persistence passion to excel," she said.
Sahitya Kala Parishad under Government of Delhi instituted the lifetime achievement award in 2004 in the fields of music, dance, theatre, visual arts, sports and literature.
The recipients so far have been M S Subbulakshmi, Ustad Rahim Fahimuddin Dagar, Ebrahim Alkazi, Zohra Sehgal, Kapila Vatsayan, late Habib Tanvir and Pandit Bhim Sen Joshi.
Chess Champ Anand, Painter Ram Kumar Honoured
THE LATEST ISSUE
- No Ifs And Buts, Nitish Kumar Will Remain CM Even If We Win More Seats: BJP
- MI Vs RR LIVE: Gopal Gets Rohit; Mumbai 88/2 (9.1)
- Court Awards Life Imprisonment To Four; Victim's Family Demands Death Penalty
- Congress Tractor Rally: Rahul Gandhi Allowed To Enter Haryana After High Drama
- In Den Of Match-Fixers, Why BCCI's Fraud Detecting System For IPL Still Has Holes
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- ‘It Is Not Fair To Blame All TV Channels Because Of One Or Two’
- Mumbai Court Extends Rhea Chakraborty's Judicial Remand
- Truce Is The Only Option For EPS And OPS
- Advancing Security In Indo-Pacific A Priority: Jaishankar At Quad Meeting
- French Open: Line Judge Deja Vu For Djokovic In Khachanov Win
- Nitish Kumar Announces NDA Seat Sharing Deal, JD(U) Gets 122, BJP 121
- Nowhere To Go: MCI Staff Told To Vacate Building
- CSK's Belief In Watson Surreal, But That's What Dhoni Is All About