World chess Champion Viswanathan Anand and painter Ram Kumar were today conferred lifetime achievement award by Delhi Government for their outstanding contribution in the field of sports and art respectively.
The honour was conferred by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit at a function. Both of them were presented a cheque of Rs 11 lakh and a citation.
Speaking on the occasion, Dikshit said her government was privileged to honour the World Chess Champion and the renowned painter.
The 41-year-old chess champion had won the inaugural Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award in the year 1991-1992, the Padma Bhushan in 2000 and the Padma Vibhushan in 2007.
Ram Kumar's paintings have gained global appreciation and he is considered as one of the most brilliant painters among his contemporaries. The Government of India awarded him the Padmashree in 1972.
Dikshit said people like Anand and Kumar are assets of the nation who have significantly contributed to enriching the lives of people and the society.
"Both of them have made the country proud because of their consistent and persistence passion to excel," she said.
Sahitya Kala Parishad under Government of Delhi instituted the lifetime achievement award in 2004 in the fields of music, dance, theatre, visual arts, sports and literature.
The recipients so far have been M S Subbulakshmi, Ustad Rahim Fahimuddin Dagar, Ebrahim Alkazi, Zohra Sehgal, Kapila Vatsayan, late Habib Tanvir and Pandit Bhim Sen Joshi.
Chess Champ Anand, Painter Ram Kumar Honoured
THE LATEST ISSUE
- With 12,651 New Infections, Delhi Logs Lowest Daily Caseload In 4 Weeks
- Citing Covid Situation Cong Again Defers Internal Poll To Elect New Chief
- Clueless Cong Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid-19
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Beed: Govt To Probe Discrepancy In Covid Deaths As Funerals Rise
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Japan, UNDP To Provide Oxygen Plants To Northeast States
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Bach Cancels Japan Trip Because Of COVID Cases