Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez returned to Venezuela early today, officials said, after a controversial extended stay in Cuba where he underwent surgery to remove a cancerous tumour.
"We got here as the sun was rising. So very happy to be back home," Chavez said on Venezuelan state television as he arrived in time for July 5 bicenntenial celebrations here.
Chavez had been in Cuba since June 8, and was rushed to hospital on June 10 for what was initially described as a "pelvic abscess". He revealed on Thursday that he had a cancerous growth, which was fully removed in a second operation.
Caracas has not given details on what follow-up cancer treatment Chavez might get, or the type of cancer from which the 56-year-old is suffering.
Chavez, who survived a coup attempt in 2002, announced in a video on Thursday from Havana that a cancerous tumor had been removed from his body but that he was expecting a full recovery.
The news cut short a host of rumors about Chavez's health, fueled by his nearly month-long stay in the Cuban capital.
The Cuban government released photos of Chavez yesterday taking a short walk with his daughters Maria Gabriela and Rosa Virginia, and Venezuelan Foreign Minister Nicolas Maduro.
Chavez Returns to Venezuela After Cancer Surgery
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Pandemic’s Second Year To Be ‘Far More Deadly’: WHO Chief
- Covid Second Wave: PM Modi's Larger-Than-Life Image Takes A Big Hit
- Delhi Police Arrest 9 Over Posters Critical Of Modi Govt's Vaccine Policy
- YSR Congress MP Who Sought Cancellation Of CM Jagan’s Bail Arrested For Sedition
- China’s First Spacecraft Lands On Mars
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Daughter’s Diary: Corona Has Come Home, But Home Is Far Away
- Man Carries Mother On Shoulder To Cremation Site
- Israeli Airstrike On Gaza House Kills 7, West Bank Erupts In Protest
- A Pin-Prick Of Hope: 40 Transgenders Given Covid-19 Jab In Guwahati
- Rajasthan CM Sounds Alarm Over Inadequate Oxygen Supply
- Nothing To Hide: Youth Cong Chief Srinivas B.V. To Delhi Cops
- Mithali, Harman To Lead Teams
- I-League: AIFF To Do Away With Relegation Due To COVID-19