Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan has come down heavily on "additional censorship" practised by political parties against films which are about to be released.
"This is a worrying trend. We have to leave issues regarding censorship of movies to the Censor Board for Film Certification (CBFC) and allow cinema to flourish," Chavan said after presenting the 'Maharashtra Bhushan' award to veteran actress Sulochana here on Tuesday evening.
"If there are any objections related to the content or title, it is best that the censor board should take a decision. After, a film is passed by the Board, I feel there should be no additional censorship," he said.
Chavan's comments came in the wake of recent controversies which dogged two Marathi films - Zenda and Shikshanacha Aiycha Ho with political parties raising objections to certain sequences and the title respectively.
The Chief Minister said several corporates are entering the Marathi film production sector and providing financial backing for producing quality films.
He also assured the government's complete support to promote Marathi cinema.
Chavan said the present amount of subsidy for Marathi film is Rs 30 lakh.
Earlier, accepting the honour of citation, scroll and cash prize of Rs 5 lakh, Sulochana dedicated the award to her mentor filmmaker late Bhalji Pendharkar.
"The kind of roles I essayed made me what I am today and I am thankful to God for it. If there is re-birth for me, I wish to be born again in Maharashtra," she said.
Deputy Chief Minister Chhagan Bhujbal said the state government should strongly recommend the senior actress's name for the Dadasaheb Phalke award, the highest honour in the field of art and cinema.
Chavan Against Film Censorship by Political Parties
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Clueless Congress Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Cong To Form Fact-Finding Team To Analyse Poll Debacle
- Corpses Found Floating In Ganga
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Himachal: Cyber Thugs Target Covid Patients With False Promises Of Hospital Beds, Remdesivir
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- In A First, An Independent Candidate In TN Releases Election Expenses
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine