Against the backdrop of frequent floods in Assam and allegations of its failures to deal with the situation, the Centre has decided to restructure the Brahmaputra Board and turn it into a body to develop and manage water resources of the entire northeastern region.
The Water Resources Ministry has sought feedback of Chief Ministers of the seven northeastern states on the draft proposal to restructure the Board which came into being 32 years ago.
Government may bring in a new legislation to transform the Brahmaputra Board into the Brahmaputra River Valley Authority and replace the current Brahmaputra Board 1980 Act.
"A review of the functioning of the Brahmaputra Board reveals that it did not have a mandate to provide a strong framework for the holistic development of the Brahmaputra river," said the draft.
It also said the Board failed to build up competent engineering cadre to support its activities which remained largely concentrated in the state of Assam.
According to the draft, the proposed Authority will be mandated to coordinate development and management of water, land and related sources to maximise economic and social welfare without compromising the ecosystem of the Brahmaputra valley.
It will have two parts - a policy making apex council and an executive wing.
The Council will be headed by Union Water Resources Minister as Chairman and comprise of the Chief Ministers and Ministers for water resources of the NE states.
The Executive Board will be responsible for implementing the decisions of the council.
After the Authority is set up, the Centre will create a fund called the Brahmaputra Fund. The fund will be used to finance the water resources activities in the member states.
The Centre will be the custodian of the fund which will be controlled by the Authority, the draft said.
Centre Plans to Restructure Brahmaputra Board
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Pall Of Gloom Envelopes Congress HQ; Disbelief And Cautious Optimism Among Leaders
- Of Same-Sex Relationships And Social Mindsets: Why India Needs More Dutee Chands
- TDP Chief Naidu, Mamata Discuss Formation Of Non-BJP Govt With Congress Support
- After Exit Polls, Mayawati Meets Akhilesh, But No Meeting With Congress
- TMC Office Wears Deserted Look Day After Exit Polls Paint Bengal Saffron
- My Vote Is For the Well-Being Of My Fellow Indians
- The Statue Went Bust
- Mayawati, Honourable Prime Minister. Why The Heartburn?
- Can India's Character As A Secular Republic Be Sustained?
- Yogi Deveshwar: Corporate Honcho Whose Touch Gave Wings to Air India, High Flight To ITC
- How WhatsApp Saved The Day For A Cyclone Fani-Hit Journo In Odisha
- BJP Wants Kamal Nath Govt To Prove Majority, Writes To Governor
- Buoyed By Exit Polls, BJP Workers Gear Up For Celebrations On May 23
- Exit Polls Not Final Results, But Indicate BJP Will Come To Power: Nitin Gadkari
- After Game Of Thrones Finale, Here's What Delhi Metro Tells Commuters
- Vivek Oberoi's Exit Poll Meme Involves Aishwarya, Salman And Abhishek; Sparks Row
- Will Observe Maun Vrat To Atone For Hurtful Remarks, Says Pragya Singh Thakur
- Though Exit Polls Are Favourable, DMK's Stalin Says Will Wait For May 23
- Delhi Lok Sabha Poll Results May Get Delayed By 5-6 Hours: CEO