Against the backdrop of frequent floods in Assam and allegations of its failures to deal with the situation, the Centre has decided to restructure the Brahmaputra Board and turn it into a body to develop and manage water resources of the entire northeastern region.
The Water Resources Ministry has sought feedback of Chief Ministers of the seven northeastern states on the draft proposal to restructure the Board which came into being 32 years ago.
Government may bring in a new legislation to transform the Brahmaputra Board into the Brahmaputra River Valley Authority and replace the current Brahmaputra Board 1980 Act.
"A review of the functioning of the Brahmaputra Board reveals that it did not have a mandate to provide a strong framework for the holistic development of the Brahmaputra river," said the draft.
It also said the Board failed to build up competent engineering cadre to support its activities which remained largely concentrated in the state of Assam.
According to the draft, the proposed Authority will be mandated to coordinate development and management of water, land and related sources to maximise economic and social welfare without compromising the ecosystem of the Brahmaputra valley.
It will have two parts - a policy making apex council and an executive wing.
The Council will be headed by Union Water Resources Minister as Chairman and comprise of the Chief Ministers and Ministers for water resources of the NE states.
The Executive Board will be responsible for implementing the decisions of the council.
After the Authority is set up, the Centre will create a fund called the Brahmaputra Fund. The fund will be used to finance the water resources activities in the member states.
The Centre will be the custodian of the fund which will be controlled by the Authority, the draft said.
Centre Plans to Restructure Brahmaputra Board
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Supreme Court Refuses Pre-Arrest Bail To Chidambaram In ED Case
- India, Russia Condemn Use Of Terrorist Groups For Political Ends In Joint Statement
- 'Political Vendetta Stronger Than Law,' Says Shivakumar In Video Message
- FIRs Filed Against Assam NRC Coordinator Prateek Hajela For 'Intentional Exclusion' Of Names
- 'Women In Live-In Relations Akin To 'Concubine': Rajasthan Human Rights Body
- The World Is Watching India. It Won't Let Us Get Away On Kashmir, NRC For Too Long
- BLOG | Rumours Have Stronger Legs Than Denials In Kashmir Valley
- New Job For Justice Gaur: Even Arun Jaitley Felt It Was Wrong To Reward Retiring Judges
- Strong And Decisive Leadership May Not Help Always. It Can Cause More Damage Than Good
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- TikTok Star With Over 40k Followers Arrested For Robbery In Noida
- 'Red Alert' In Mumbai, Adjoining Districts As Heavy Rains Disrupt Road, Rail Traffic
- Who Were The Indus Valley People? Long-Awaited Research Paper To Be Out Today
- Maruti To Halt Production At Gurugram, Manesar Plants For 2 Days Amid Slowdown
- Remember The Potholes Bengaluru Artist 'Moonwalked' On? They Are Fixed Now -- Video
- Live - BAN v AFG, One-Off Test, Day 1: Taijul Gets Afghanistan Openers
- US Open: Rafael Nadal Into Semis But Diego Schwartzman No Pushover
- 'Shout Out To Abdul Basit...': Adult Film Star Thanks Ex-Pak Envoy For Twitter Followers