Accusing the Centre of not being serious in providing reservation to Muslims, Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam Singh Yadav today demanded immediate implementation of recommendations of the committees headed by Rajendra Sachar and Rangnath Misra in this regard.
"The recommendations of these two committees should be immediately implemented so that reservation could be given to Muslims. We are in its favour and have been demanding the same for a long time," Yadav told reporters here.
His comments came against the backdrop of Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid stating that the Centre was studying various models were being studied for providing quota within quota for the community.
Yadav said he had raised in the Lok Sabha the matter of reservation to Muslims, whose condition were pitiable, and had also written a letter in this regard to the Prime Minister.
Alleging that the Congress was not serious on the issue, Yadav said, "Our party has always tried to work for the development of Muslim community. During our regime 14.5 per cent Muslims were given jobs in police. The percentage has come down to 1.5 in the present BSP regime."
Dismissing Khurshid's comment as "chunavi rishvat" (election bribery), SP leader Mohammad Azam Khan demanded action against the minister for making the remark "with an eye on the upcoming Assembly polls" in the state.
He said recommendations of both the committees should be accepted in toto.
The Sachar committee has thrown light on the pitiable social and economic condition of minorities and recommended steps for uplift of Muslims, while the Misra panel has suggested measures for the betterment of backward minority Muslims - economically, socially and educationally.
Demand for reservation to Muslims is gaining momentum with the elections approaching fast. Chief Minister Mayawati has already written two letters to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the issue.
Meanwhile, BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said Congress, SP and BSP were trying to compete with each other on the issue of reservation to minorities, especially Muslims with an eye on the forthcoming Assembly elections.
He alleged that these parties had enjoyed power with the help of Muslim votes, but had turned a blind eye towards socio-economic and educational conditions of the minorities.
"As trader of votes, they have politically exploited minorities and with elections nearing they are once again trying to woo them," Naqvi told reporters.
The BJP leader alleged that in the last 10 years representation of Muslims in government jobs had decreased by 42 per cent in UP.
"Compared to this, it has increased by 31 per cent in Madhya Pradesh, 38 per cent in Bihar and 34 per cent in Gujarat - all BJP ruled states, where honest effort has been made to include Muslims in the mainstream of development without reservation," he said.
Naqvi demanded an inquiry by a sitting judge of the High Court should be carried out in all scams and corruptions in Uttar Pradesh and if required a CBI probe should also be ordered. "This blatant misuse of public money should be probed threadbare," he said.
The BJP leader said the second phase of Jan Swabhiman Yatras led by Rajnath Singh and Kalraj Mishra respectively would start from November 9. "In the second phase scams and corruption of the state government will be exposed," he said.
The Yatras would end in Ayodhya on November 17 where a Vijay Sankalp Samagam would be organised on the same day to be attended by national party chief Nitin Gadkari. Besides, the Jan Chetna Yatra led by BJP leader L K Advani would be in the state on November 18 and 19, he added.
Centre Not Serious in Giving Quota to Muslims: SP
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Will It Be Nitish Kumar For The Fourth Time? Or Are There Cracks In His Citadel?
- SRH Vs KKR: Hyderabad Bowl First Against Kolkata
- Deity, Donations And Divine Intervention
- Heavy Overnight Downpour In Hyderabad Leaves Many Areas Flooded
- Govt Vigilant In Safeguarding Every Inch Of India's Land: Amit Shah On India-China Standoff
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Will Meet PM Modi To Seek Help For Rain-Hit Farmers: Sharad Pawar
- Judges Must Be Able To Withstand Pressure, Says Justice N.V. Ramana
- Suspect In Gruesome Killing Of Teacher In France Was Chechen Teen
- President Trump Leans Into Fear Tactics In Bid To Win Midwest States
- Sunil Narine Can Bowl Again For Kolkata Knight Riders
- Ran Out Of Bowling Options: Dhoni
- Indigo Airlines Now Charge Rs 100 From Passengers For Checking In At Airports
- COVID-19: India Reports 61,871 New Infections; Recovery Rate Up 88%