The centre has expressed its displeasure over the report sent by Uttar Pradesh government on the Bareilly riots and sought further clarifications on the arrest of a Muslim cleric which led to the tension.
The Home Ministry has sought reasons for the arrest of Ittehad-e-Millat Conference leader Maulana Tauqeer Raza Khan on charges of inciting communal feelings, attempt to murder and treason and his subsequent release.
"Either his arrest was not proper or his release. The government should give proper reasons for both," official sources said.
The Ministry has demanded a detailed report on the incidents that led to communal tension and steps taken by the police to stop the riots which gripped the city.
Around half-a-dozen shops and houses were set ablaze when members of two communities clashed during the 'Barawafat' procession, taken out to mark the birth anniversary of Prophet Mohammad on March 2.
Hindus were taking out a separate Holi procession in the city on that day.
Trouble broke out when some elements pelted stones on 'Barawafat' procession leading to a clash between two groups, which engaged in heavy brick batting.
Later, the state government transferred district magistrate and Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) of Bareilly ostensibly for failure to control the situation after outbreak of communal violence.
Centre Not Happy With UP Govt Report on Bareilly Riots
THE LATEST ISSUE
- In Naveen’s Crosshairs: Vengeful Odisha Govt Goes After Leading Odia News Channel
- Poll Sop: Nitish Kumar’s Standard Operating Procedure
- The Saudi Crown Prince Reveals His Schizophrenia
- Victorian Ace: Dean Jones Was A True-Bred Australian Who Made Grit His Middle Name
- 'You Can't Stop Thefts Till Thieves Repent': R. Ashwin On 'Mankading'
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- IAF Has Demonstrated Its Capability To Engage With The Adversary: IAF Chief
- Bihar Elections: Former DGP Gupteshwar Pandey Left Ticketless
- Batting Let Bowlers Down, Says CSK Skipper Dhoni After Yet Another Defeat
- China Will Pay A Big Price For Spreading Covid-19 Globally: Trump
- I Am Still A Student Of Cinema: Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- Tablighi Case: Freedom Of Speech Most Abused, Says SC
- India’s GDP Expected To Contract By 9.6 Percent This Fiscal: World Bank
- Ind Vs Aus 2020-21: Cricket Series To Start With ODIs In Brisbane From Nov 25