A CPI-M member in Rajya Sabha today demanded bold and urgent action by the Centre to ensure extradition of former Chairman of Union Carbide Warren Anderson in connection with Bhopal Gas Tragedy.
Raising the issue through a Special Mention, K N Balagopal (CPI-M) said the court of Delhi Chief Metropolitan Magistrate had yesterday accepted the CBI plea for Anderson's extradition.
Noting that the judiciary has again directed the CBI for the extradition of Anderson, Balagopal said, "This is to be done immediately by the bold intervention of the External Affairs Ministry and Prime Minister of India."
He urged the government to "take urgent steps in this issue for protecting the belief of the common people in rule of law."
He said the court also asked the CBI to approach the Ministry of External Affairs, which will send the extradition request to the US authorities.
"Technically a court's nod is required for such a request to be moved, an that is fulfilled now," Balagopal said.
He alleged that the CBI was not pursuing Anderson's extradition since 2004 , when their last such request was rejected by the US authorities without proper reasoning.
"It is a well settled fact that people were massacred due to the guilty negligence on part of the management...The kingpin of the massacre was not brought before the process of law," he said.
Shreegopal Vyas (BJP) demanded financial aid from the Centre for Chhattisgarh in the state's infrastructure development to fight naxalism.
Bharatkumar Raut (Shiv Sena) demanded regular supply of coal for thermal power plants of Maharashtra.
Jai Prakash Narayan Singh (BJP) demanded a ban on the sale of Chinese items to protect the small scale industries in the country.
Shadi Lal Batra (Congress) expressed concern over the large number of the transfers of faculty members of the Pandit Sunderlal Sharma Central Institute of Vocational Education in Bhopal.
Thomas Sangma (NCP) demanded effective mechanism for solid waste management, while Syed Azeez Pasha (CPI) made a demand to stop import of duty free raw silk and address problems of agriculturists.
Centre Must Act Quickly on Anderson Extradition: CPI-M
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly